ATI TV Card Sound Problems

fish2198

OSNN Junior Addict
I have an ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro and a Sound Blaster Audiolgy 2 ZS.

I have a problem where the sound gets completely fuzzed out when I try to start the ATI TV Tuner s/w. It will start off clear and in a few seconds (5-30 seconds) become nothing but static.

This only occurs when I have had the computer up and running for a while (say 20 minutes or more). And none of the other sound on my system seems to be impacted.

All I have to do is reboot my system and start up the TV Tuner first thing and I can listen to it for hours with no sound problems what so ever.

Anyone got any clues as to what might be going on?

I have not been able to make any coorelations between running other applications and getting this sound problem.

I also have updated all the drivers on my sound and video cards.

I am running Win XP Pro, with a nice ASUS P4C800 MB, 1G RAM, 3.2 GHz Pentium 4.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

sounds confusing. I think that in those 20 minutes, some driver or some program has loaded which is causing the conflict. try this.
Boot the pc, do not load anything or do anything, let it sit for 30 mins, then see if you get the sound problem.

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem, you also have a similar hardware setup as I do.

One thing I noticed was that after I rebooted when the static begins (in the same manner you described) a windows error message appears regarding the MCSHIELD.exe process (mcafee virusscaner). I tried to disable it and it appears the static issue has stoped.

I am also trying to find a correlation between the error and software/events that occur on my computer. By any chance do you have any mcafee products installed?

(UPDATE -- Aug 1) The static has come back, I guess it has nothing to do with Mcafee afterall. I'm still suspicious since the static started a few days AFTER installing the Mcafee VirusScan software.

I've been checking the Windows Event Log to see if any driver/software is loading/crashing behind the scenes around the time that the statis starts. I've had no luck with this so far, it doesn't show any events for a few hours prior to the static beginning.

fish2198 said:
I have an ATI All In Wonder 9800 Pro and a Sound Blaster Audiolgy 2 ZS.

I have a problem where the sound gets completely fuzzed out when I try to start the ATI TV Tuner s/w. It will start off clear and in a few seconds (5-30 seconds) become nothing but static.

This only occurs when I have had the computer up and running for a while (say 20 minutes or more). And none of the other sound on my system seems to be impacted.

All I have to do is reboot my system and start up the TV Tuner first thing and I can listen to it for hours with no sound problems what so ever.

Anyone got any clues as to what might be going on?

I have not been able to make any coorelations between running other applications and getting this sound problem.

I also have updated all the drivers on my sound and video cards.

I am running Win XP Pro, with a nice ASUS P4C800 MB, 1G RAM, 3.2 GHz Pentium 4.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back