Ati Sucks?

TheBlueRaja

BR to Some
I just wanted to let you know about my Nvidia to Ati experice so far. After my Ti4400 cooked itself after an unfortunate incident with a hoover and a replacement fan, :eek: , i devided to plump for a 9700 Pro.

Now this IS a good card, dont get me wrong, i can play at 4xAA and 4xAntiwhitdyamacallitfiltering, on most games, but i do have a gripe that you may have heard about, the drivers.

They really are a crock of S**T.

NEVER when using Detanators did i have any driver issues, i never had to wait for the next release to play a game, especially one several years old (half-life), I never had difficultes with dodgy frame rates (Rainbow 6 Raven Shield with night vision on) and I was always able to get a game running no matter what, (Enter the Matrix - "Device not created 2" error). And these are just SOME of the errors i have had DIRECTLY related to the drivers.

So remember this when buying your new card - remember that although the 9700 and 9800 cards are probably better cards that you WILL have to muck around SOOOO much more than with the NVidia cards. And sometimes you will not even get a fix for an issue for months, if at all.

How much cash is that worth when comparing your next purchase?

i'd take the mucking around anyday over a ti400..which is what i upgraded from.......i say screw both of them anyway for making us spend all this money upgrading...(even tho its voluntary):p

You missing my point, i was refering to anyone thinking about upgrading. I wasnt comparing a 9700Pro and a Ti4400.

well if they upgradin from anything below a ti4400..i'd say its dammmm well worth it:p

[edit] but yes the driver situation is less than to be desired compared to nvidia.......as for the blue raja..lol..he's my second favorite.....first is the bowler:)

so it depends on us to choose nvidia or ati... as both also have its disadvantage! but anyhow i still choose ati lol... (dont quote me on that k coz its just my opinion) ;)

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
I just wanted to let you know about my Nvidia to Ati experice so far. After my Ti4400 cooked itself after an unfortunate incident with a hoover and a replacement fan, :eek: , i devided to plump for a 9700 Pro.

Now this IS a good card, dont get me wrong, i can play at 4xAA and 4xAntiwhitdyamacallitfiltering, on most games, but i do have a gripe that you may have heard about, the drivers.

They really are a crock of S**T.

NEVER when using Detanators did i have any driver issues, i never had to wait for the next release to play a game, especially one several years old (half-life), I never had difficultes with dodgy frame rates (Rainbow 6 Raven Shield with night vision on) and I was always able to get a game running no matter what, (Enter the Matrix - "Device not created 2" error). And these are just SOME of the errors i have had DIRECTLY related to the drivers.

So remember this when buying your new card - remember that although the 9700 and 9800 cards are probably better cards that you WILL have to muck around SOOOO much more than with the NVidia cards. And sometimes you will not even get a fix for an issue for months, if at all.

How much cash is that worth when comparing your next purchase?

you also miss the point some what :)

admittedly half life was a buggered up issue with cat 3.2's but it works with all the other versions of the catalyst driver... especially with cat 3.4's which I use currently...

concerning most other games that have an issue with ati cards.. it is not always the hardware vendor's fault :)

the IHV can only do so much in order to make their product work well... the game dev's ALSO have a responsibility in order to ensure that their product works well...

so while these problems are related to the drivers or so it would seem... the reason is not always with the IHV... :)

you should also take out a gripe concerning game developers...

True, the developers are at fault as well, but my point is that with the Nvida Cards - i NEVER had any of these issues.

Now im with Ati, it seems like every other game has one issue or another and that detracts from the overall value of the card in my opinion.

Half-Life's companion counter strike is played online by more people than the rest of the multiplayer games put together, yet Ati manages to release a driver set (that no doubt fixed other issues with other recently released games) which prevents users from playing it comfortably. If they cant get a 5 year old game right - what chance do the rest of them have.

Anyhoo, im off to play Vietcong now for about 5 minutes until my team "dissapears" due to a graphical glitch.

Do you see my point?

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
True, the developers are at fault as well, but my point is that with the Nvida Cards - i NEVER had any of these issues.

Now im with Ati, it seems like every other game has one issue or another and that detracts from the overall value of the card in my opinion.

Half-Life's companion counter strike is played online by more people than the rest of the multiplayer games put together, yet Ati manages to release a driver set (that no doubt fixed other issues with other recently released games) which prevents users from playing it comfortably. If they cant get a 5 year old game right - what chance do the rest of them have.

Anyhoo, im off to play Vietcong now for about 5 minutes until my team "dissapears" due to a graphical glitch.

Do you see my point?

yes... that is a problem and I didn't understand why the cat 3.2's buggered HL either :)

the problem with nvidia and ati is ati follows standards per what is set... and therefore should theoretically be easier for game devs to code to...

nvidia on the other hand does not work fast enough with standards (case in point... doom3 with nv30 and arbs 2 paths) and has to be coded for MORE in order to get things working... proprietary stuff basically... and the EXTRA time used to code for nvidia and its non-standard hardware takes away time for other companies (matrox/sis/ati et al) which work TOWARDS a standard...

also... there are just as many problems with nvidia hardware as with ati hardware (cases per thousand lets say) but nvidia users have an easier time apparently of just changing drivers and working it through that way... and nvidia users of ati hardware seem not to change their drivers in order to suit their needs...

it becomes the same situation but there is a greater reluctance to use different ati drivers ?

lol... j/k

I'll say this... in all the time I have used nvidia AND ati hardware... I have had 0 major issues... I keep my hardware and software reasonably up to date and 'clean' and have no issues... :)

"(Enter the Matrix - "Device not created 2" error). And these are just SOME of the errors i have had DIRECTLY related to the drivers."

This issue here has nothing to do with the hardware or drivers, this is a refresh rate problem that has plagued Windows XP, so this has happened to ATI and NVIDIA owners, so if you want to fix it disable your refresh rate to 60Hz, recommended to re-install latest drivers then use REFRESHLOCK and it will let you play at higher refresh rates.

RaZoR

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back