ATI Radeon X800 Released

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I tried submitting this via the "News Submission Page," but all I got were stupid errors telling me that I cannot be logged in twice, even though I logged out of everything. :p

But here you are for your reading pleasure.

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4750.html

ATI will offer two RADEON X800 products, the RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition and the RADEON™ X800 PRO through retail, system integrator and OEM partners.

For the competitive gamers who demand the best performance bar-none, the RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition will be powered by a 16-pipe pixel processing engine clocked at 520MHz. To take advantage of the massive pixel processing power of the RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition the product has been paired with high-speed 1.12GHz data rate GDDR3 memory and a 256-bit memory interface. The RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition will ship later this month with a suggested retail price of $499.

The RADEON X800 PRO, with a suggested retail price of $399, will be powered by a 12-pipe pixel processing engine clocked at 475MHz. A 256-bit memory interface and GDDR3 memory with a 900MHz data rate will deliver unmatched performance in its price category. The RADEON X800 PRO is shipping immediately and customers can purchase it online through major retailers in North America starting today.

Melon

Man this is what Ive been waiting for. Sweet lord these cards are beast. With AF enabled the graphics are blessed.

ATI's Richard Huddy, Director of European Developer Relations, talked to Elite Bastards about some pretty funny marketing tricks they used to fleece NVidia.

I saw the benchies on THG a couple of weeks ago. The ATi Radeon X800 XT and the 6800U are insanely fast cards. Apparently the XT is only marginally faster. My 9700Pro is still doing fine with my overclocked Pentium 4, but when it's time to buy a new graphics card, these guys and their successors look to be great choices.

"Richard Huddy: It was always a smokescreen. It takes so long to build this hardware that you'd amazed it managed to fool anyone. There are people who believe that we cut and paste the extra 4 pipelines in about a month ago. They're wrong - by many months!

It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."

Sneaky.

X800 PRO $399 at CDW. Not a bad new release price compared to the rumors on 6800 pricing.

Once again Nvidia announces promises and ATI puts product on the shelves.

What I'm wondering is what other versions will be coming out. If they do something like X810 or X900 or something and how those will be.

I thought Nvidia would trash ATI this time round so looks like I'll be upgrading from my 9800pro to the X800 XT instead of the nvidia one. Well done ATI. Mind you I hope they sort out the problems they have with thier drivers, openGL implimentation etc. Over on the rage 3d forum all I seem to read about their drivers seems bad and in my experience nvidia do win with thier drivers. I hope ATI catch up soon.

Doom its interesting what you said about the Ati drivers being bad as when I had my nvidia geforce 1 (oh yes) and geforce 3 ti200 I had loads of problems first was that silly annoying 60hz refresh rate bug, but rather more shocking was performance changed by leapsand bound by what driver you used.
With ati I have yet to have a problem (save with call of duty which was rapidly fixed).

Anyone knows when the 512 version is suppose to hit?

Yeah Nvidia has good drivers but in no way without its issues. ATI I must admit has been doing a great job compared to the old days.

The only problem is which one to buy I have my evil eye on both the NVIDIA and ATI cards and although both of these cards are great I just cannot make up my mind which one to get. I will at the end of the day be the ATI which will win me over but I cannot help gazing dribbling uncontrollably at the NVIDIA card...

I build and customize High-End machines as a hoby and both of these cards would look great in there...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back