Ati Radeon 9800XT PS 3.0

AudioSlayer

OSNN Addict
Hey i just got the new farcry patch and i saw that it has support for pixle shader 3.0. How do i use this new shader version. I know it will give me a fps boost. I have a Ati Radeon 9800XT, with direct x 9.0c. What do i need fot it to be enabled?

I think it's only the 6800 that currently supports PixelShader 3.0

ps 3.0 is not going to be enabled till directx 9.0c debuts' so i would not worry about it..

the main speed enhancements are for the nv40 and r420 series of cards... and all the rendering errors for the nv40 cards from the previous versions are pretty much fixed on the NV rendering path afaik...

as EP said.. ps 3.0 is only available for the nv40 cards...

yes but sc2 is not a public release yet now is it :)

:cool:

anyways there will be ps 3.0 base speed enhancements in some areas of far cry but no visual enhancements (other than correctly rendering objects) initially...

patch 1.3 should bring a new bunch things to the table...

erm, I thought PS3 caused less of a hit than PS3.
Either way, I don't yet have that which can render it :)

well the point was the site appears to have gotten it wrong :)

the r420's should not be able to get a speed gain with a ps 3.0 path... apparently there is something else going on and they called it ps 3.0...

my best guess :)

Do you thinks its a drivers thing? Does Ati need to release there new drivers for it to support ps 3.0? Or will my video card not have it at all ever?

the marchitecture for the r4xx cards is more programmable than the r3xx's and has higher instruction limits... seems like the tweaks for patch 1.2 allow the r4xx's to do more in fewer passes than before hence allowing it to keep the lead in raw performance...

the way it looks unless patch 1.3 brings something major to the fore... ati's cards are likely to keep their lead in this game...

wrt your question audioslayer... ati moved many of its innovations to its NEXT release coz they felt the r4xx was sufficient to handle the nv4x cards... the r500 has all the features already being worked on such as ps 3.0 support (likely beyond that too since by the time it debuts dx-next will be out)

ati's current cards including the r3xx and r4xx cards won't have ps 3.0 support but can do pretty much everything required... its not as big a deal wrt graphics... its more of a potential speed thing... and seeing these numbers whatever boosts the nv4x had... the ati card seems to have gotten as well from the reworked code..

xxxx: Let me know when you get the card and I will give you a driver with PS3.0 enabled
Electronic Punk: the latest version doesn't ?
xxxx: Nope. Microsoft won't provide WHQL certification right now for drivers which support PS 3.0
xxxx: So we had to turn this off until Microsoft ok's PS 3.0

ati's ps 2.0b appears to be giving a bigger percentage boost over stock 2.0 than ps 3.0 is giving to nvidia...

for whatever reason.. ati's hardware has superior mathematical skillzzzz...

Well, depends if these tests we have been seeing are using a driver that has PS3.0, but yeah, its all good ;)

given that there are performance increases it is w/o a doubt utilising ps 3.0

I am not sure you would receive a special driver and the people who are benching with beta drivers would not specially given that those people have been benching for years and have solid relations with both IHV's...

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back