ATI Radeon 9800 problem

funk doc

OSNN Junior Addict
hi all,

I recently reinstalled Win XP Pro SP2 on my pc with the latest drivers of my ATI card. Everything seemed as it should be, 'till i tried to play a game...

The graphics are really crappy, not the in-game videos. Something is wrong with it. To illustrate it i took some screenshots:
http://users.skynet.be/funk_doc/screens/RVS.JPG
http://users.skynet.be/funk_doc/screens/TM.JPG

my specs:

ASUS P4C8000
P4 3200
ATI radeon 9800
512 mb ram (2*256mb dual access)
Win XP professional SP2 with latest updates
DX 9.0c (latest update)
ATI driver: wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-111-050222a-021277c.exe (from ATI site)

i tried:

reinstalling the ATI drivers (clean install)
updating DirectX
running dxdiag (everything was ok)

Is there something else i can do?
thx in advance!

You running at stock clock speeds, is the fan on the gpu working correctly?
Try a reboot if you haven't already and maybe a driver reinstall.

Chris said:
Have you tried reinstalling the games?

I have this problem with all my games. But yes I tried that too...

Electronic Punk said:
You running at stock clock speeds, is the fan on the gpu working correctly? Try a reboot if you haven't already and maybe a driver reinstall.

Stock speeds, fan is working correctly, driver reinstalled...
still the same...

:cry:

Electronic Punk said:
You running at stock clock speeds, is the fan on the gpu working correctly?
Try a reboot if you haven't already and maybe a driver reinstall.
i think ep is right might be the cooling or something, or maybe you didn't install the gfx card well shutdown and check if the card is pushed in all the way and then check the fan/heatsink

FishBoy said:
i think ep is right might be the cooling or something, or maybe you didn't install the gfx card well shutdown and check if the card is pushed in all the way and then check the fan/heatsink

thx for the advice, but i checked it and double checked it... but it's still the same!

anybody else?

FYI: funk_doc is a friend of mine. He was here yesterday, and we tried to fix this issue.
The following was done:

Removed all software from ATI, removed the card in device manager and reinstalled with the latest drivers from ATI.
Sound drivers have been updated.
Chipset drivers have been updated.
S-ATA controller drivers have been updated.
The card was removed from the AGP slot, and we made sure it was seated correctly.
The coolers have been checked, they're all ok.
BIOS settings checked, didn't find anything abnormal there.
Tried AGP 4x instead of 8x, makes no difference.
Drive has been defragmented.
Drive has been checked for errors with Chkdsk.
Eventlog checked: nothing special in there.

Is there ANYTHING elese you guys can think of that we can check?

Thnx

Grtz

Lukas

The only thing I haven't seen you do is reinstall directx, or at least run dxdiag to make sure everything is kosher with the install.

Off Topic: BTW what game was the driving game pictured in your initial post Funk Doc?

Edit: Try an older version of the drivers. 5.1 or 5.2...See what happens.

Dxdiag has been run, no probs there. It hasn't been reinstalled yet...

The game is TrackMania 2 :D

I Had sort of the same problem, Was usin ATi 9250 and all games were corrupt, Tried the card in 2 seperate comps and still had the same problem. Formatted HD installed latest Drivers from the net and the card works fine. I think my prob was caused by Driver conflicts with old drivers. Dunno if this helps.

I started having a similar problem yesterday, counter strike's fps suddenly dropped from the 80-110 range to an amazing 7. I ran dxdiag and all the directx test are fine except for the directx 9 spinning cube which is incredibly slow. What gives?

when running dxdiag the tests are good, but only when running Direct3D on 8 and 9 interfaces little green dots appear on the cube.
No further erros.

Im Returning My PNY Fx5950 Ultra For Those kinda issues, A Game ran ok for like 10 secs, Slowed Right down, then Graphics corruptions occur with Green dots appearin on the screen. When i emailed PNY i was told it was a Memory Problem. ( Although the Card was showing temps well over 100, so heating could also be a prob)

I didn't see where you used drivercleaner. If you haven't, try that and then a reinstall with the Radeon 4.3 ( I always roll back to a known good version when having a new problem, newer is not always better).

If it's still acting up your down to reinstall of windows without the SP2.

Or an RMA.

I seen all kinds of problems like that with my 9800pro with certain drivers I got so fed up after a while with stuff like that I sold it to a buddy and got 2 x 6800's one GT and one 6800 fanless gigabyte for the kids rig. You might try 4.7 cats they were not too bad for us.

RMA is the last i wanna do. I've only had this card for one or two months now and i have no on board video... but if nothing else works i'll have to return the card.

When i got my 9250 it came with 4.3 Drivers, i installed those, games were fine, i then installed 5.2 over them and all games became corrupted, tried a driver cleaner but still had same problem. Formatted Pc installed 5.2 straight away and the problem went away. However if ur gettin green dots etc on the screen it sounds like a memory problem, Prob same as me with my 5950 ultra card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back