ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

H

hw|Cobra

Hi all,

I'm getting a Radeon 9700 Pro soon and I have 56k dialup.

Will the drivers that come with it be the newest or will I have to sluggishly download newer ones?

Thanks,

Cobra :cool:

More thank likely the drivers that will come with the card will be slightly old, the latest official drivers are 7.76 catalyst 2.3

But there is a beta driver set v7.78, which I am using and alot of other 9700pro users, they fix alotof lockup problems.

Id suggest you go to the forums at Rage3D, as the site is dedicated to ATI users. I found some good tips.

The beta drivers (7.78) are available from www.guru3d.com just go to the drivers page.

ATi said they will try and release OFFICIAL new drivers every 6 odd weeks and it has been about that since the last release... so expect a new driver suite soon... however there are very stable beta's floating around as well for those that can't wait...

I won't be getting it for a while anyway ... And when I do, I have to wait until early January after I've built my new computer that will be good enough to power it ...

Yea. those 7.78s are great IMO. :)

Stopped my lockups, and funny behaviour.

I didnt realise at 1st, but my Sapphire Radeon 9700Pro, as the normal ATI fan/heatsink. I now wonder if I really have a sapphire card or ATI original!!.. I cant tell . All I know is the Sapphires are advertised with completely different fans. My card came in a Sapphire box, so well hell Im still confused! lol

sapphire ships 2 cards... one with their funky orb like heatsink and one which is the ati reference board with the ati logos and everything but their own installation cd

:)

I heard nothing but good stuff about them :)

The cards are identical , Sapphire just change the heatsinks on some models.

Yeah Sazar, Sapphire are one of the best ATI suppliers.

Yes cobra, my card is identical to the normal ATI card, red.!

Sazar, what moddifications have you done to your 9700Pro then, i noticed in your sig. you say "modded"??

I was thinking of getting some TIN plated BGA ramsinks & a crystal orb cooler.

That's what I was wondering too ... How can you mod a graphics card?

you can do alot of things to mod a graphics card, also download the latest drives, always a good idea. shouldn't take you all THAT long

Posted by $tUy_B
Sazar, what moddifications have you done to your 9700Pro then, i noticed in your sig. you say "modded"??

I was thinking of getting some TIN plated BGA ramsinks & a crystal orb cooler.

a couple of things I done...

yah I have the copper bga ram sinks.. link is down right now from where I got it... but you can look around for them... pack of 8... costs around 35-40 bucks....

the metal extension at the back of the card (supposed to aid heat dissipation) I have a MASSIVE copper thermaltake passive cooler on that to help it more...

the fan I am not going to mess with... I do not plan on drillin holes on a 300+ dollar vid card right now :) besides it works fine... no real and excellent cooling...

I have taking her up to 420/390 as is... all passive cooling... no artifacts :)

she stays default most of the time though... 325/310... oc's very nicely...

CAUTION

do not oc your card if you do not know the risks that come with it... not all cards oc as well as others... depends to an extend on gpu and bga memory yields as well as available cooling/system setup... do NOT oc if you are not familiar with how to do it... I am not going to be responsible for people blowing their cards up :)

ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID WHEN YOU OVERCLOCK

remember that

end of CAUTION

the pcb for all radeons as far as I can tell is pretty much the same... sapphire is one of the top as they basically use the exact card shipped by ati and perhaps change the heatsink on it..

I would like to eventually change my fan to something like the smartfan2 from thermaltake... BUT the mobo design will force me to utilize 1 pci space to the left of the card and I dont want to do that...

latest drivers do not always help.. I dled the 7.77 cat's (beta ) and they blew on my rig... so I went back to the 6166 drivers... now I am using 6193 and they are brilliant... for me though...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back