ATI Radeon 8500le or 9000pro?

D

Digerati

I'm looking to get a new video card for an AthlonXP 1800 system I'm building (either Biostar M7VIT or Epox EP-8RDA+ mobo) and after reading around I think I have it narrowed down to either an ATI Radeon 8500le (64mb) or a 9000 Pro (64mb).

I'm not a hardcore gamer and don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a card. I play some EAsports games (ie nhl2k3, madden 2k3 etc) but not much more beyond that.

I just want a good card for a good price that offers above average performance and will fit well with my system.

I was thinking of getting a geforce4mx440 but it seems most people don't think much of this card and I don't want to spend the kind of money to get a geforce4ti4200.

From my knowledge, the Radeon 8500 outperforms the Radeon 9000 (heard that the 9000 is suppose to be a low-end budget, like the MX-440). So your best bet, I believe, would be the Radeon 8500.

-RaG

I'm personally going to buy the Radeon 8500LE 128Mb from Crucial (click one of the banners on this site to see it). I've been told its good, and its cheap too considering the spec.

Yeah, defenitely the 8500, its a great card. Just go to futuremark.com, it shows that this is like, the 5th most powerful card out. After all it pulls off a good 10000 3dmarks....

where is the global ratings for all cards? i can only see my personal compare scores. where are the highest scores?

Originally posted by Ragnarok
From my knowledge, the Radeon 8500 outperforms the Radeon 9000 (heard that the 9000 is suppose to be a low-end budget, like the MX-440). So your best bet, I believe, would be the Radeon 8500.

-RaG

I just got the Radeon 9000 "Pro" which is definitely a weaker card than the 8500.

My boss and I play bf1942 Desert Combat and he's set at 1024*768, 32bpp, with the game graphics maxed out.

Same machine except for our graphics cards, I crash if I leave the safety of low graphic settings.

I ordered the radeon 8500LE last night off crucial... £66 for 128Mb version... tidy price imo... should arrive next few days. If its as good as I've heard it to be, I'll buy one for my own machine (as this one is for my girlfriend)

From looking at some benchmarks I got the impression that Radeon 8500LE is just a poor card, you can pick up a brand new Geforce3 off ebay for around £50. Much cheaper and better performance I think.

Originally posted by CAnCeR_MAN
From looking at some benchmarks I got the impression that Radeon 8500LE is just a poor card, you can pick up a brand new Geforce3 off ebay for around £50. Much cheaper and better performance I think.

they are both some what the same... with the 8500 being a little newer therefore having some more techs in it... and being faster and having better IQ...

they are both... around 1.5 - 2 yrs ago top of the line cards... currently they are mid-end cards...

yep, the 8500 is a fantastic card.. I have the non LE 64MB verion and I am very happy with it's performance and IQ..

Ahhh, What Brother Payne said above is true, but he failed to mention that not only does my graphics card best his, but that I am a much better pilot as well! 8500 128m has been a great card for me. Maybe you can have it Payne when I finally break down and go get the 9700 pro. When it starts hovering around $250 thats when Ill make my move. Welcome to the forum bro.

ditchopper fails pilot's exam!

Originally posted by ditchhopper
Ahhh, What Brother Payne said above is true, but he failed to mention that not only does my graphics card best his, but that I am a much better pilot as well! 8500 128m has been a great card for me. Maybe you can have it Payne when I finally break down and go get the 9700 pro. When it starts hovering around $250 thats when Ill make my move. Welcome to the forum bro.

ditchopper obviously has special issues:p
I mistakenly took him under my wing, so to speak, taught him 2 noob-manuvers, and now he fancies himself a pilot! lol.

I will take that card off your hands, ditchopper, if my constant victories over you haven't changed your mind ! lol noob!

Generalisimo Abubikus has spoken! toot toot

the 8500LE i ordered arrived earlier today... gonna install it tonight - i'll post up later or tomorrow to give you all my verdict :)

well... after a bit of messing around with installing it etc, im happy to say its working pretty well. i havent had much chance to play with it myself as its my girlfriend's puter and she was on it all night from me installing it and changing q3 to run best on it (gf2mx settings didnt seem to go too well on the ati) until she went to bed lol.

i didnt mind... i was busy adding a fake team called wibble to fifa2003, and making a euro superleague in place of the austrian league :)

ill get a go tonight ;)

ATI 8500le

Hope it goes well, jonifen, as i am in process of buying that wee beastie myself very soon (unless u think its pants - then its back to the drawing board) :blink:

EA games are pants....

the design team is shyte and their support is the pits too...

however they DID bring out MOH: AA and Spearhead ... :D
enjoy :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back