ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 question

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
I got a new IBM ThinkPad A31 at work yesterday and it has a ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 video card in it. I downloaded the drivers for it from IBM's website and installed them and that when fine...but the highest resolution I have available to me is 1024x768....I normally like to run my display at a higher resolution. Has anyone run into this issue before with this model of video card? I am going to check ATI's website...but I am betting its going to say to just use vendor specific drivers for this card.

Originally posted by gballard
I got a new IBM ThinkPad A31 at work yesterday and it has a ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 video card in it. I downloaded the drivers for it from IBM's website and installed them and that when fine...but the highest resolution I have available to me is 1024x768....I normally like to run my display at a higher resolution. Has anyone run into this issue before with this model of video card? I am going to check ATI's website...but I am betting its going to say to just use vendor specific drivers for this card.

are you sure its not just your thinkpads maximum resolution ?

@ 2d the 7500 gpu supports higher native resolutions... but its pointless if the display does not...

ie my video card supports much higher resolutions than my monitor supports so my video cards drivers only reveal the 'safe' ones to display @...

the problem with your resolution is not the graphics card, but the screen.

Most monitors only tend to have a maximum resolution of 1024x768 apart from the more expensive Sony Vaios etc.

There's actually nothing you can do to change it :(

edit: just beat me to it Sazar :p

well...before I got this ThinkPad....I had the a22M and I ran it at that resolution right above 1024x768...can't remember exactly what that one is right now....here is the URL for the ThinkPad I currently have....

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/sit...52c6u&quickPathEntry.x=13&quickPathEntry.y=12

The video driver listed there for XP is the one I downloaded and installed.

According to the detailed specs on the video card...it should do a higher resolution....

Graphics Subsystem
Graphics chipset: ATI Mobility RADEON 7500
Graphics type: XGA
Graphics data width: 128-bit
Video RAM std/max: 16MB / 16MB
Video RAM type: DDR SDRAM
Max resolution (with std video RAM): 2048x1536 16777216 colors
Max resolution (with max video RAM): 2048x1536 16777216colors
Max colors (with std video RAM): 16777216
Max colors (with max video RAM): 16777216
Graphics bus interface: AGP 4X

Originally posted by gballard
well...before I got this ThinkPad....I had the a22M and I ran it at that resolution right above 1024x768...can't remember exactly what that one is right now....here is the URL for the ThinkPad I currently have....

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/sit...52c6u&quickPathEntry.x=13&quickPathEntry.y=12

The video driver listed there for XP is the one I downloaded and installed.

if you don't have it in your documentation... fire off an email to your ibm rep and ask them what the max supported resolution is for your thinkpad...

-edit-

nm.. I found it @ the link you gave...

Display
ll
Screen max resolution: 1024x768
Screen type description: TFT - active matrix
Viewable image size (diagonal): 15inches
Contrast ratio:
Screen illumination: Backlit
Max resolution on built-in screen: 1024x768
Max colors or grey shades: 16777216
External display supported: Yes
Max resolution on external display:
Simultaneous external display: Yes

P4-M 1.6GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 30.0GB HDD, 15.0 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD, 8x4x24x CDRW, Modem(MPCI), 802.11b wireless (MPCI), Ethernet(CDC), Security chip, TV out, Li-Ion battery, Win2000

that was from the website you gave me - the bold text is the screen information - showing its a max of 1024x768

edit: nice lappy btw :)

yup.. therefore you can;'t run it higher...

you can try... but it may not be good for your screen...

lol jonifen... we are working as a tag team here... :D

this is true...just a matter of what you are used to I guess...this machine is about twice as fast as the one I had...so I will stop whining now...heh

heh, dont worry, I'd be the same about the resolution - I get stuck enough at work on 1024x768 - I've got a nice 19" runnin at 1280x1024 at home and I cant seem to use anything less anymore (without wishing there was more space on screen anyway lol)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back