Ati Dvd 5.0

M

morpheus2k

Hey ALL,

Anyone else using ATI's DVD 5.0 (newest for XP, supposedly)?

It DOES work, but no-where near as well as its' previous release did. On about half the DVD's I have played, I have a VERY difficuult time using the movies built in menus - like, normally to play the movie, I'd run the cursor over "Play" in the movie start screen, and click, and Wow! the movie plays! Now I can click and hit and curse and nothing happens - I have to try to get "Play" to highlight, then hit the "enter" key on the keyboard.

Next problem is a lot of "crud" on the screen, and this will be hard for me to explain, and I tried for an hour to capture it to post, since a picture is worth a thousand words, but no luck :(
What is happening, is every so often (and some movies are worse then others), a "blurb" of lines/boxes in lime green, hot red and a few others will flash on the screen for a split second. SOmetimes it only happens a few times a movie, others, continually.

I have tried 3 different drivers, which didn't help at all.

Don't know what else to try.
?
M2K

Downloaded the latest drivers, that just came available.

:) Hope it should work then...

Hey Joa,
Unless they became available in the last 7 days or so, I DO have the newest drivers. It isn't the drivers that is causing a problem, only the DVD software ATI provides...

Thanks,
M2K

Do you have....

Do you have the proper DVD-Decoding software installed? Such as DVD Express?

You can download one if you need it.
What DVD-Rom do you have?

Hit it go for something like this...

Try searching for a DVD AOPEN DVD DECODER!

Do you actually know what you are talking about?

Everything worked fine until I upgraded the DVD PLAYER that ATI provides, and has worked wonderfully in the past - however the new "for XP" version really blows - I just need a patch or "fix" for the DVD PLAYER SOFTWARE (not drivers or decoders or whatever...) - the system performs flawlessly from a video standpoint, with the exception being the playback of DVD's UNDER THIS NEW PLAYER.

M2K

When I upgraded, i had to upgrade my DVD Decoder to work with my system. I have the ATI DVD Player too.

Ok, the issue is definatly confused here!

DVD Express and Ati DVD 5.0 are two totally different (retail) players. DVD Express is horrible - avoid it like the plague.

Ati DVD 5.0 is complicated but very good, it uses the Ravisent Cineplayer Directshow filters which are arguably the finest out there.

The ati player comes with more options than I can name off the top of my head... I use WinDVD myself but my dad has Ati 5 installed on this machine, installed via the ati mmc 7.6

As far as I can tell, it only uses the directshow filters rather than being a modified version of Cineplayer. Therefore the filters should also be working with MediaPlayer or Zoom Player (my player of choice) which you can obtain from http://www.inmatrix.com

ok, now down to your post :p

Anyone else using ATI's DVD 5.0 (newest for XP, supposedly)?Ati 4.0 should also work and is infact the preferred version for stability apparently with at least one player I know, but I would stick with 5.0 if I were you.

It DOES work, but no-where near as well as its' previous release did. On about half the DVD's I have played, I have a VERY difficuult time using the movies built in menus - like, normally to play the movie, I'd run the cursor over "Play" in the movie start screen, and click, and Wow! the movie plays! Now I can click and hit and curse and nothing happens - I have to try to get "Play" to highlight, then hit the "enter" key on the keyboard.
I always found ati 5.0 to be a realy pain, tho this version with 7.6 has worked straight out of the box as it were, you are better off using media player or zoom player.

Next problem is a lot of "crud" on the screen, and this will be hard for me to explain, and I tried for an hour to capture it to post, since a picture is worth a thousand words, but no luck
What is happening, is every so often (and some movies are worse then others), a "blurb" of lines/boxes in lime green, hot red and a few others will flash on the screen for a split second. SOmetimes it only happens a few times a movie, others, continually.

Definatly sounds like a macrovision problem which is a little weird, may be a way of remvoing it using some utility but I can't thikn of one off-hand try looking for "ati macrovision removal" in yahoo or an other search engine, you might get lucky.

I have tried 3 different drivers, which didn't help at all.
There were some new drivers released very recently, can't say more as I don't think you specified a card.

Don't know what else to try.
You could also check out PowerDVD and WinDVD, 2 fine DVD players that have trials available on the web:
http://www.gocyberlink.com
http://www.intervideo.com

Hope something in there helps.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Ok, the issue is definatly confused here!

You can say that again ;)

DVD Express and Ati DVD 5.0 are two totally different (retail) players. DVD Express is horrible - avoid it like the plague.

Knew that, and agree with it. ATI DVD 4.0 was the BEST DVD player I have ever used. Simple to understand and decoded better then you could ask for..

Ati DVD 5.0 is complicated but very good, it uses the Ravisent Cineplayer Directshow filters which are arguably the finest out there.

Now you are going over My head - but this is good.

The ati player comes with more options than I can name off the top of my head... I use WinDVD myself but my dad has Ati 5 installed on this machine, installed via the ati mmc 7.6

Does he have this on Disk, or was it a recent download? I'd be interested in a CD copy if his is the "retail" disk, if he/you could provide one - I will happily pay shipping. The ATI download process was a bit silly - I ended up needing 3 different downloads to get what I would have on the installation disk, which won't work on the XP platform...

As far as I can tell, it only uses the directshow filters rather than being a modified version of Cineplayer. Therefore the filters should also be working with MediaPlayer or Zoom Player (my player of choice) which you can obtain from

So, if I understand you correctly, I should try a DVD in XP MediaPlayer, to see if the problem still persists?

Ati 4.0 should also work and is infact the preferred version for stability apparently with at least one player I know, but I would stick with 5.0 if I were you

I couldn't access the install on my retail disk (4.0) - wonder if I can find it on the ATI site?

I always found ati 5.0 to be a realy pain, tho this version with 7.6 has worked straight out of the box as it were, you are better off using media player or zoom player

5.0 JUST became available in the last month or so. And was built with XP in mind, supposedly. Any idea's for where I could get 7.6?

Definatly sounds like a macrovision problem which is a little weird, may be a way of remvoing it using some utility but I can't thikn of one off-hand try looking for "ati macrovision removal" in yahoo or an other search engine, you might get lucky

Can you go into more depth on this? I don't really understand the whole DVD process, but wish to, especially if I am going to be mucking around with it to fix it...

There were some new drivers released very recently, can't say more as I don't think you specified a card

I have it listed in my signature, under "Current Specs", but it is a AIW 128

You could also check out PowerDVD and WinDVD, 2 fine DVD players that have trials available on the web

I will keep those in mind - I even have a copy of PowerDVD, but don't really like it much. Would prefer to use the software that is made for my card...

Hope something in there helps.

Thanks so much for the Informative answers :D
If you have the time, please go into a bit more detail if you can, especailly about the filters, etc.

Again, thanks!
M2K

Can't tell you where I got it as its warez and I can't tell you where I got it cos I just randomly clicked on something and I had it, the wonders of broadband.

The filters, whether they come with PowerDVD/WinDVD or Cinemaster allow Mediplayer or its derivatives. They basically act as codecs to tell mediaplayer what it has to do to play the file back. These cannot be distributed free as the authors need to licence dolby technology etc. bundled versions are ok etc.

Give Mediaplayer or Zoom Player a go like I said, you will just have to ask around (elsewhere :p)for Ati 7.6, I am not sure which GC it ships with, tho my best guess would be the 8500.

btw, its all working fine here with my dads Ati AIW 128 ;) Sorry I didn't see that before, I tend to write my replies from this page,which does not show sigs...

Hey....I used to have the same problem with the multi-colored blobs in the ATI DVD player as well as PowerDVD (unless I turned off the hardware acceleration which is a dumbass way to do things with a card that has hardware support). But I did find that if you have a mobo based on the VIA chipset (CUV4X-E in my case), updating the AGP driver to 4.05 (in the 4.37a 4-in-1 drivers) reasonably fixed the problem....still had the odd "flutter" at the start of the movie for a sec but no probs after. After updating to the 4.10 driver (in the 4.38 4-in-1 drivers), things went back down the toilet.

Hope this helps a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back