ATI Catalyst BSODs

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
I dunno what's going on, but ever since I tried installing any Catalyst drivers above 4.5, I've been having BSODs at Windows login startup stating a file "ati2dvag" is stuffing up.

You see, after I install the drivers (after a reboot)... as it's about to load the login screen, the screen stays black for a moment, then loads up the shutdown screen. After a few moments, then it proceeds to a BSOD... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Download nasty file remover nfr.exe and run it to remove all ATI drivers. Then reload. I've had good luck with 4.3 and 4.7.

Something got stomped on in driver land. It happens.

coupla questions..

are you running your system overclocked and do you have any pci/agp locks?

I would consider running stock and working on installing the drivers and seeing what happens...

also list your pci devices and the bsod error message...

I assume you have compltely removed all ati driver references and reinstalled the drivers after that>?

@LeeJend: Already tried Driver Cleaner 3... that didn't work very well... still got the BSOD after numerous reinstalls of Cat 4.6, 4.8, and 4.9. Would nfr work any better?

@Sazar:
1. I was running an overclocked CPU... yes. I'm not sure about any pci/agp locks though... but my agp frequency is set to auto in bios... is that it?
2. I already defaulted everything in bios before installing, but I was still getting BSODs.
3. See attachments (next time I see the actual BSOD, I'll record everything down - for now, there's a watchdog error log).
4. Yeh, I followed the standard procedure I use to install new drivers - Uninstall ATI control panel, then ATI display drivers, then the ATI software uninstall utility, reboot, boot into safe mode, run driver cleaner, reboot, then install new drivers.

Attachments

• pci_devices.jpg
    pci_devices.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 040910_1356_01.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 112
uninstall your drivers... clean it out and install cat 4.9's...

also run your computer @ stock clocks... oc'ing can affect it with no agp/pci lock...

the newer ati drivers have a VPU recover when there is a situation where it fails which allows you to recover back to a usable desktop rather than suffering a hardlock...

Thanks for the suggestions Sazar, but it didn't go too well. I did a complete system purge of ATI drivers - uninstalled drivers, used cat and smartgart uninstallers, used drivercleaner, shifted through regedit for ATI keys, and manually searched for ATI driver files - and yet I still get that same BSOD once Windows boots at the logon screen. I also defaulted my bios so it wouldn't be oc'ed but no luck. *sigh*

is it possible for you to run a cat version pre 4.5?

it's an odd problem you seem to be having...

stick with the pre 4.5 drivers for now and see if you get any repeat situations where you experience a bsod...

Hey Sazar, I really appreciate the help, but I think I stuffed around a bit too much with the drivers... now I can't even boot into windows without a BSOD, even for safe mode. I think this calls for a format, so once I've done that, I'll try the new cats again to see if they work. I'll get back to you. Thanks again! :D

Nope, no such luck... I just did a format/reinstall of WinXP with SP2, and yet I still get the BSOD from installing the 4.9 Cats. I don't know what's going on... *sigh*

try installing pre cat 4.5's like you said you would...

apparently you had no problems with this set...

try that out and see if you can at least boot...

also if you have ANY attached pci devices (though it seems all your stuff is integrated per the list above) remove them...

Do you have another video card or can you borrow one for a test? It is possible the 9800 PRO is dieing.

I'm running a crappy ECS MB w/FSB overclocked and all the 4.5 plus catalysts are working fine. I even have the 9800 Pro overclcoked. EPOX makes a reliable, stable MB so I doubt that is the problem.

Other possibility is HD errors. Same comment swap the boot drive or borrow another one.

Unlikely long shot - power quality issue. Pull some RAM and some Drives to unload the power supply.

Or do the clean sweep approach pull everything but CPU, 1 RAM (try several), VIDEO and a HD and see if you can get that working. Then add stuff back one at a time.

Are you using two graphics cards? Looks like it in your thumb you posted. Never knew this could be done. Am i the new kid or could this be a conflict? <O*O> Correct me if i'm wrong. frogg_mann

most newer cards have dual ramdacs...

thats what is being displayed... the primary and secondary ramdac...

as is you can run 2 gfx cards if you wanted... one agp, one pci...

in the not too distant future it will be 2 pci-E's

Sazar said:
in the not too distant future it will be 2 pci-E's

me drools....

seriously though - my paranois side showing through (there are anumber of threads about me and SP2!) Have you considered tryng rolling back SP2 and seeing how things are? I seriously doubt this is an issue.... but I have yet to put the 4.9 drivers on myself and if anyone is going to hit something like this - it will be me, so if you could save me the trouble I would be most appreciative.

If your 9800 is dieing you have my sympathies - it should have lived longer - a lesson not to overclock? Keep us posted anyway.

Question, What does the error code on your BSOD have to say? Try a search with the code? There are several sites that give you the error code definitions. I've found them this way when i wasnt sure about the code. frogg_mann

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back