ATI and games on Xp

D

dogstar41

Howdy guys.
I cannot seem to get any older games eg. Red Alert 2, Tribes 2 etc to work since I have installed Xp. I get sound but no video.
Check for update but ati just says driver on xp disk.

System: p3 700mhz
256k ram
120gb HD
Win Xp pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanx

if you did a clean install best thing to do would be to rollback or to manually install your original drivers...

if they work, keep them or update to the next set... and so on so forth till you get to a set of drivers that don't work... if they don't work rollback to older drivers that do work...

newest drivers are not always the best... :)

i think i read somewhere (concerning tribes 2) that you had to reinstall it everytime you changed drivers, and its done some crazy things on me before.

ati is notorious for having flaky cards and even more flaky drivers. next time you upgrade, try buying an nvidia brand of card. less hassle with them.

errr wtf.

Sometimes i think i should have brought a Nvidia 4600, then i remember that my card kicks it ass off the face of the planet at high resolutions with full antianalising and I feel much better.

seriously... the amount of bs that goes around concerning ati cards... and their drivers

they currently have most of the team that originally came up with the dets for nvidia... so their catalyst drivers over the past year have been as flaky as the friggin dets...

get your facts right..

there are issues with certain drivers... the latest ones are not always the best...

I have not had any driver problems with ANY drivers for my card... or the pci radeon 7200 sdr card I had before...

dogstar41 has driver problems yes... does not mean drivers are faulty... different setups react differently...

personally I would uninstall all vid drivers and install from installation disk the original drivers... even if it says unsupported by winxp... that makes no difference... thats what I did with my old radeon 7200... I rolled back to the original drivers...

Originally posted by NegativeFactor
errr wtf.

Sometimes i think i should have brought a Nvidia 4600, then i remember that my card kicks it ass off the face of the planet at high resolutions with full antianalising and I feel much better.

I wanna see what happens when I get my 9700 this week :)

what ATI card do you have?

btw I have a Radeon 8500 and it works great.. no complaints from a former Nvidia user...

Originally posted by Sazar
I wanna see what happens when I get my 9700 this week :)
]

Would you think that FPS would make a large difference between say 800 * 600 and 1280 * 1024?

Yes you proberly would.

But not with the Radeon 9700 Pro, i ran the UT2K3 benchmark at both these resolutions and got pretty much the exact same result!!

I've been a 100% Nvidia user in the past, but i don't regret going over to the (dark) ATI side.

thats what I hear

utterly playable ut2k3 even with AA turned on...

in fact still mostly playable with max everything settings and max AA turned on..

now THAT is incredible....

pity AGP ports are such a friggin bottleneck..

:)

I'm not one for upgrading my hardware everytime something new comes out, since I don't have the cash flow for that. I've been using the same Radeon 32MB card for well over a year now without any problems. Keep in mind I don't play the latest and greatest games either, but for what I do use it for, the latest ATI released drivers run fine.

And i bet there isn't similar pages on each of the sites for graphics card manufactures that use the Nivdia chipsets.

Get off the Nvidia high horse man, just except that ATI may, or already have, become the better of the two rival companies.

Negative, get off the ATI highhorse. Just accept that both companies are going to be constantly switching positions of who has the best card. First it was NVIDIA, then it was ATI, then it was NVIDIA, now it's ATI, next it will NVIDIA. It's the way it has been and it will, more than likely, continue that way.

ZipTrix get off the "Get of the Highhorse" highhorse. That's my highhorse.

And this is coming from the person who stated:

:rolleyes:

Having a bad case of the "mine is bigger then yours" syndrome?

Yeah mate I think so, my penis is particualy tiny tho!

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back