ATi/AMD vs NVIDIA - the end?

What's going to happen between ATI and NVIDIA in the GPU market?

• ATi will bounce back with some killer GPU next year and reverse the situation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATi will come back with something good and balance out the market again

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • ATi will not be able to produce anything awesome and their market share will dwindle

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • NVIDIA will keep going from strength to strength and will dominate the market in 2 years time

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • NVIDIA have already won hands down. ATi graphics cards are history. NVIDIA are the king of GPUs!

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
So with the release of the Geforce 8800GT and coming hot on the heels of comments on OSNN, I have a question for you all: Is this really the beginning of the end for ATi/AMD graphics cards?

Surely this kind of thing happens time and time again, with one competitor trouncing the other for a while until the roles are eventually reversed? Or is this one trouncing too many for ATi?

Bear in mind that the Intel Core 2 Duos are kicking the crap out of AMD's CPUs at the moment too, will AMD decide to back away from the graphics market to concentrate on CPUs?

Reps for your opinion, people.

personally i would really agree with any of those statements.

AMD once they have mastered smaller nm cpu's will again go head to head with intel. Which i imagine will be within the q1 of next yr.

It just so happens they where behind the curve on this one.

AMD ruined ATI. AMD's exit from the top of the line GPU market hurt. It could potentially ruin their core business, too. Instead of taking more on they should have concentrated on the CPU market.

Anyone remember what happened when it was Nvidia vs 3dfx?

Anyone remember what happened when it was Nvidia vs 3dfx?

Graphics accelerators were an emerging market, and it was pretty volatile; now everyone pretty much knows what to expect from their competitors. Short of a miraculous new technology, AMD is going to have a hard fight to get even close to the top of the heap.

we have to wait and see what RV670 has in store...but I'm not seeing a one company market anytime soon.

Ati will probably come out with something to beat the 8800 series a week before nvidia will be releasing their new card series, thats how it seems to happen

Well for the sake of driving innovation and making parts cheaper I hope AMD/ATi sticks around as it generally better for us as buyers.

Now I don't AMD and ATi merger was a great idea since it doesn't seem AMD is making much in roads into mainboard market with inhouse chipsets.

So yes this could be the end of ATi but lets hope not

mm.. nah... i dont think so

ati just needs to optimize its cards a little... i think the next gen its gonna be more balanced

oh, but... omg they should make some decent drivers already!... 7.10 were pretty great, but otherwise... even when they got the hardware right (like x1k series) they lose on that

i dont think they're gonna beat nvidia soon or the other way around.. but if they get to work is gonna be more head to head competition

Well AMD/ATi cannot afford to lose in the graphics market or the processor market. When Intel bought Nvidia it was aimed at overloading AMD, and the fact that ATi was fighting hard to keep up to begin with didn't help matters. AMD simply doesn't have the money that Intel has for R&D and production. It is going to be a difficult road for AMD but it is a place they are used to being in. To really "catch up" they would need a substantial step forward, like a drop to 40nm. However, AMD/ATi will continue, they have to get back to the mentality that they really need their products to shine everytime out, and get back to their core of more work per clock cycle. Because in a game of "keeping up with the jones's" AMD will lose.

AMD is still selling a ton of graphics cards. Even if it is not at the high-end, the top of the line cards make up only a fraction of the market.

OEM's sell low-mid range cards and AMD is doing just fine in this arena. Most of the losses incurred by AMD this past fiscal quarter were a result of price wars and lower sales on the processor front v/s last year.

This is the first generation that AMD has "lost" since the R300 debuted for single chip boards. I would hardly call that a death-knell. Nvidia didn't exactly wither away when they were behind in raw performance for so long.

ATi/AMD will be around in one form or another for a while because they would make an attractive take-over target either together or individually.

ATI is no longer pursuing the top end market. They and AMD have stolen a page from the Intel playbook. ATI has been deeply focused on the consumer electronics and integrated video market which allows Intel to own 85% of the video chip sales while having a crappy product.

ATI has been focused on Entertertainment based gpus for 2 years now and has that market locked. If you want good multimedia you buy ATI instead of Nvidia (or Intel). ATI lost a massive amount of GPU share in the last twelve months. Nvidia has grown significantly with part taken from ATI and part by grabbing a major share of the new performance market VISTA's graphics hogginess is creating. ATI has been allocating significant die real estate and heat dissipation to multimedia and that is holding them back from dominance in performance.

We can kiss ATI goodby as a contender for the demanding Video Gaming sector. Whether they and AMD survive at all will depend on if they can create a sustainable niche for themselves. The ATI - 3DFX comparison above is very appropriate, that includes AMD processors BTW.

Both AMD and ATI are running 1-1.5 generations behind on power, die geometry and raw performance. Throw in a 50-50% chance of recession next year and survival is questionable let alone the additional development dollars to create killer new products.

A frightening future with no price competition for Intel/Nvidia. The only reason I can see that Nvidia dropped a reasonably priced new GPU (8800GT) is the in process anti-trust litigation the government is pursuing.

I think there will be 3 companies in the party if the rumor of an Intel based discrete card comes out.

But really the leader in selling graphics chips is still intel. We follow what is the best and fastest and most expensive but walk into a best buy or fry's and watch the masses buy their 60 dollar Geforce 4 MX cards and you will see that the majority of people don't care. (Yes I was just in a fry's and saw people deciding on whether to buy an Ati 2400 or a geforce 4 mx)

That's another reason PC gaming is slowing (not dead by any means) because regular joe from Regular City doesn't have the power to play games because he has integrated graphics.

ATI is no longer pursuing the top end market. They and AMD have stolen a page from the Intel playbook. ATI has been deeply focused on the consumer electronics and integrated video market which allows Intel to own 85% of the video chip sales while having a crappy product.

ATI has been focused on Entertertainment based gpus for 2 years now and has that market locked. If you want good multimedia you buy ATI instead of Nvidia (or Intel). ATI lost a massive amount of GPU share in the last twelve months. Nvidia has grown significantly with part taken from ATI and part by grabbing a major share of the new performance market VISTA's graphics hogginess is creating. ATI has been allocating significant die real estate and heat dissipation to multimedia and that is holding them back from dominance in performance.

We can kiss ATI goodby as a contender for the demanding Video Gaming sector. Whether they and AMD survive at all will depend on if they can create a sustainable niche for themselves. The ATI - 3DFX comparison above is very appropriate, that includes AMD processors BTW.

Both AMD and ATI are running 1-1.5 generations behind on power, die geometry and raw performance. Throw in a 50-50% chance of recession next year and survival is questionable let alone the additional development dollars to create killer new products.

A frightening future with no price competition for Intel/Nvidia. The only reason I can see that Nvidia dropped a reasonably priced new GPU (8800GT) is the in process anti-trust litigation the government is pursuing.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

:cool:

Thanks for all the cool replies guys, they make interesting reading. I'm sure that the high level of competition in recent years has led to some awesome products at very fair prices, so as long as that continues I'm happy :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back