ATI All-In-Wonder w/dual monitor support?

B

barch97

I've currently got an old 8MB Rage based All-In-Wonder. ATI no longer supports this card and has not, to my knowledge, produced XP drivers for it. From what I understand, drivers are available that will allow it's use as a video card in XP but, it's other features will be nonfunctional.

I LOVE this card. I have been spoiled. I cannot live without it. I have been running Windows ME just so that I can continue to use this card. I do think that I have gotten my money's worth out of it and am ready to upgrade to a MUCH newer AIW. One produced in this century maybe. These cards are relatively pricey but, well worth the cost if they will do what I expect them to do.

I'm fairly certain, based on information provided at ATI.com, that Windows XP drivers are in fact available for newer AIW cards. So, this really isn't an issue as far as I can tell.

My question is about multiple monitor setup. My current AIW won't allow it. I can run two video cards in my box and connect two monitors but, when I put the AIW in, only the AIW will work. I cannot find where ATI addresses this issue on it's website. Or if they address it at all. What I would like to know is, can anyone verify from personal experience or otherwise, if a machine with an ATI All-In-Wonder (agp or pci) and a second video card (pci) will work? If so, which model? As much as I would love to have a radeon 9800, if I can save a couple hundred bucks by getting a 9700 or even an 8000 series, I'd like to know if that option is available.

My sincerest apologies if this issue has been addressed previously. I'm still getting the hang of this "search" thing. Thanks in advance for any input.

they will work... but you will still have issues when you turn on your tv window m8...

its just the way it is...

unless you get the new AIW 9600pro which comes with dual monitor jacks...

AFAIK bout your card... if the new drivers don't work... just go through the previous driver support section and download the older drivers...

Originally posted by Sazar
unless you get the new AIW 9600pro which comes with dual monitor jacks...
hmm... I hadn't thought of that. EXCELLENT idea. Thanks.

I'm bettin' that one's pretty expensive though, huh?

WOW... not bad at all. Just did a quick search at Yahoo shopping got prices ranging from around $215 up to about $275.

Thanks again.

np...

I think you can get it for a shade over $200 @ most of the good online retailers

try newegg.com... I think its around $215 or so there...

hmm...

I don't wanna sound like a cheap ******* here but, the "All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500 - 64MB" costs less than 1/2 that. Doesn't have the dual video outs but, I've got another video card. And, it's got all the features I need. So, my question remains:

will a newer AIW allow a dual monitor setup? Anyone have this card and tried it?

On the other hand, if you're planning on running a lot of games on that biznatch, you're going to want at least an AIW 9500pro. One last thing, if your PC is as old as I think it is, a videocard update may prove worthless. What are the specs?

barch, do you even use the aiw aspect of the card? that is, the video capture capabilities? it seems like you just need something with dual ramdacs (dual monitor support) which most any video card has anymore.

If you read the original post he does use the AIW's capabilities. He may be using it as a tv tuner.

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
If you have no need for high-power and just want a decent card for dual output, things can get very inexpensive :) We're talking $40...
Yes, a second video card can be VERY inexpensive but, one with a TV tuner and composite/svideo in/out adds a bit to the cost. I realize that NVidea makes card with these capabilities also but, I've had good experience with my current AIW and would like to stick with something similar.
Originally posted by black-syth
On the other hand, if you're planning on running a lot of games on that biznatch, you're going to want at least an AIW 9500pro. One last thing, if your PC is as old as I think it is, a videocard update may prove worthless. What are the specs?
Right, I'm planning on a new system but want to make sure that the video card will perform as I expect it to before purchasing. Two monitors is not a deal breaker but, I'd really like to do it. If it's not going to work with this card, I may need to consider other cards or put off the new system all together.
Originally posted by taurus
barch, do you even use the aiw aspect of the card? that is, the video capture capabilities? it seems like you just need something dual dual ramdacs (dual monitor support) which most any video card has anymore.
Yes, I use the TVtuner aspect quite a bit. I also use it to transfer vhs video to digital and vice-versa. From what I understand the newer AIW cards also include TV-ON-DEMAND which in effect gives allows computer to act like a tivo. this would be supersweet.

I'm just a little surprised that the only answer I can get on this is "it should work." For that matter that applies to the card I have and it does not work. I'd just like for someone else to go buy one and try it before I commit to purchasing a whole lotta new computer on a "it should work" recommendation.

Thanks again for all the input. I do very much appreciate the help from you all.

IT WORKS!!!

I've got an ATI Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder PCI and an ATI Radeon 7000 AGP and a pair of monitors connected and ALL is working just fine.

I'm having a little problem with my new AIW. I can't seem to get the capture / TV tuner drivers installed. I recall having a similar problem with my old rage based AIW... The video player didn't come with the install CD. I had to go download the TV tuner and capture apps from ATI's website.

Well, I've tried the website. I've downloaded and installed all drivers and other apps available for my card and OS. Has anyone experienced this before? With same or similar card? What did I do wrong? How do I make it Work? Any help?

if you don't have the new MMC cd (which you likely don't from the sounds of it) you are going to be restricted to dl'ing mmc7.x version... the latest multimedia center (MMC) versions are 8.x based but require a cd for validation.. AFAIK this means radeon 8xxx and above cards only...

this is one of the reasons I had recommended getting the AIW 9600pro because it was dual monitor capable and would probably have cost you the same or less than your current setup..

as is you can go ahead and dl mmc 7.x and it should allow you to have everything working...

I had the same product you have.. in pci version though and used it with my AIW 9700pro (for picture in picture and dual monitor) for a week or so and it worked fine..

www.ati.com for your download needs...

www.rage3d.com 's all in wonder forums for trouble shooting your video card...

OK, I've got the "catalyst"CD that came with the card. Is that the same as the "MMC" one you're refering to? I downloaded "mmc-8-7-0-0.exe" and installed it. I still have no TV tuner.

When I run "ATI Multimedia Center Configuration" "PC Check" under "Failed" it says "Capture driver is not listed in registry"

have you installed the WDM driver?

open up control panel > system > hardware > device manager and note any items not installed...

if there is a problem.. uninstall everything and reinstall all the drivers...

yes, I've installed the "tv-capture-wdm" driver. I've been experimenting with older versions as was suggested by a member at rage3d.com but, I really don't seem to be getting anywhere with this.

Listed in device manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" I have listed "Legacy Video Capture Devices".

On a related note... This is really beginning to anger me. This is a new installation on a new system. It's not like I got a 1/2 priced used card and drivers from napster. The fact that this product doesn't work correctly out of the box is quite annoying on it's own but, good luck trying to get someone on the phone from it's manufacturer to assist. How much time does one typically waste on one of these before they put it back in the box and exchange for an nvidea card?

I'm beginning to suspect that maybe it's the dual monitor setup. There's a section in the user guide that says when used with two or more displays, the AIW must be the primary.

Wondering if I should pull the other card all together and see if I can get this to work on it's own first then reinstall the second card/monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back