ATI 9700 Pro Black screen!

Octopus

OSNN Veteran Addict
sometimes when I turn on the PC the desktop becomes completely black,nothing can be seen so I restart my PC to get everything back to normal.
never faced this before with Geforce 2.Any info guys?

When you get the black screen, are there 2 little white dots at the top? I had that problem once when my video card drivers wouldn't install properly.

that is what you get if you buy a ati instead of a geforce :p
j/k
try to update your drivers and see if that works

do you know what revision of the board u have? I heard there was a problem with R1 boards that did that.

when u turn on your computer and it does that then after you turn it off and turn it back on does it work right?

wait for Sazar to get in here he knows what I'm talking about.

my M/B is gygabyte 8TX and I am using the latest catalyst drivers.

Originally posted by Krux
do you know what revision of the board u have? I heard there was a problem with R1 boards that did that.

when u turn on your computer and it does that then after you turn it off and turn it back on does it work right?

wait for Sazar to get in here he knows what I'm talking about.

that was not a problem with ati boards.. it was a problem with the motherboard makers incorrect adaptation of the agp8x standard :)

ati solved the problem by adding a capacitor or two to regulate the signals to prevent the problems and there are also new bios's out for the motherboards to help with any related problems...

octopus... when you installed the card... I am presuming you formatted and then CLEAN installed all teh video drivers ?

I am presuming you have not overclocked your video card aggresively...

also see if you can download and install catalyst 3.1 instead of the 3.2's :)

3.1 runs more stable for some people...

keep us posted :)

Originally posted by Sazar
that was not a problem with ati boards.. it was a problem with the motherboard makers incorrect adaptation of the agp8x standard :)

ati solved the problem by adding a capacitor or two to regulate the signals to prevent the problems and there are also new bios's out for the motherboards to help with any related problems...

octopus... when you installed the card... I am presuming you formatted and then CLEAN installed all teh video drivers ?

I am presuming you have not overclocked your video card aggresively...

also see if you can download and install catalyst 3.1 instead of the 3.2's :)

3.1 runs more stable for some people...

keep us posted :)

I haven't clocked it yet and I did clean install...I just tried to find an update for the bios of the motherboard which is GygaByte GA-8TX but it seems the company's site doesn't support/provide anything old
thanks for you help

I just found this update it fixes the following
1. Support Intel P4 Celeron CPU
2. function key F9 in setup for system information
3. ATi8500 VGA card + TV out: system hang issue fixed

I'll inform you with the expected results.
thanks again,:D

the black screen is still there even with updated M/B :(
do you think it's a problem with the power supply?

Originally posted by Octopus
the black screen is still there even with updated M/B :(
do you think it's a problem with the power supply?

what size is the psu ?

also... play around with your pci cards.. perhaps there is a conflict somewhere... not all conflicts show up in winxp or whatever o/s you are using.. I dunno why :(

but what rating is your psu ?

check the 9700pro tech support section in the www.rage3d.com forums to see if anyone else has had similar problems...

your system should be fine to run the games in question...

just use cat 3.1's and stick with it... cat 3.3 should be out soon... perhaps a fix ?

I also say mess with the PCI cards. When my screen went black like that, I think it was because my network card (installed in PCI port next to the AGP) decided to switch over to a different IRQ or somethin and it conflicted with the video card. I yanked the network card out and it worked fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back