ATI 9700 Pro and U2 and UT2k3

Octopus

OSNN Veteran Addict
with geforce 2 I got between 15-20 FPS and sometimes I got 2 FPS! So yesterday I went to buy ATI 9700 Pro ( after my brain got washed up by Sazar's propaganda in the hardwares forum lol) most of the games fly like superman except those two games U2 and UT2k3 with everything high or low I can't pass 30 FPS and the games lag many times during shooting.I have 256 rdram do I need more?
or is it just those games have got tons of bugs?

We wait Sazar's opinion here :) , seriously now those games should run ok on your current system ..

ya me too. u probably need a new and powerful processor liek a 2.8 ghz. i have a 1.6 ghz and running with a radeon 9700pro and its weak cause of my processor.

I run unreal II on my system with full options @ 1600x1200 with highly playable frame rates.. a couple of scenes do tax my frames :) but for the most part it is silky smooth...

you may want to list your system specs and we can go from there...

for the record... ut2003 should run better than unreal II since it uses less effects and does not have bump mapping on all surfaces... :)

also.. 30fps is highly playable..

Originally posted by Sazar
I run unreal II on my system with full options @ 1600x1200 with highly playable frame rates.. a couple of scenes do tax my frames :) but for the most part it is silky smooth...

you may want to list your system specs and we can go from there...

for the record... ut2003 should run better than unreal II since it uses less effects and does not have bump mapping on all surfaces... :)

also.. 30fps is highly playable..

my system specs: P4 1500MHZ , 256 RdRam

30 FPS aren't enough.In RTCW I get above 60( I know it's old but it's for my eyes :cool:
how many frames do you get in U2 sazar?

there is your anwser u have 1500mhz
i get around 30frames with my xp1800@2000 512pc133 ram and geforce2mx 200 pci 32mb
:)

Originally posted by Octopus
my system specs: P4 1500MHZ , 256 RdRam

30 FPS aren't enough.In RTCW I get above 60( I know it's old but it's for my eyes :cool:
how many frames do you get in U2 sazar?

I don't check my fps... but normally if it is running @ 30fps or higher MINIMUM then it is smooth.. :) not overly so... but enough...

your RAM and your CPU are bottlenecks.. perhaps knock it down in res and turn off a couple of details... it will still look great...

btw what resolution ARE you playing @...

ut2003 and unreal II are both unoptimized games IMHO... there are lots of bugs and memory issues... it is not just your hardware :)

Originally posted by Sazar
I don't check my fps... but normally if it is running @ 30fps or higher MINIMUM then it is smooth.. :) not overly so... but enough...

your RAM and your CPU are bottlenecks.. perhaps knock it down in res and turn off a couple of details... it will still look great...

btw what resolution ARE you playing @...

ut2003 and unreal II are both unoptimized games IMHO... there are lots of bugs and memory issues... it is not just your hardware :)

I play at 1024x768 all the time with every game.I am not going to spend more money just for these two games,other games such as DF:BHD and RS:RS run fine.
I will download the latest patch for U2 it's out.

Although, not a DX9 game you should make sure you have DX9 installed on your system especially if you are running Catalyst Drivers. Also, if that is the problem you should have DX9 installed before you install the Catalyst drivers.

I installed the Epic Pack for UT2k3 today..with invasion mode I get 2-10 fps! with everything set to low.

its that intel you got in there :p

go ahead and flame me but I have a 1800+ which IS 1500mhz and a slower card (4600) and I get 40 to 60 fps in ut2k3 at the same res he is running and full detail.

on the other hand you might have some of your dets. messing around with your cats. (hehe) and screwing up performance. but to the point of 2-10 fps I dunno...... I can turn on 4xS (for D3D) and not take a hit like that, it seems a bit extreme unless you got like FSAA and astrop. filtering on like 6x and 8x

I play 1600x1200 maxed and don;t even have min fps getting to that level.. it would stutter if it did I reckon :)

either cpu or driver remains or something else is buggering your system m8... perhaps check your control panel settngs like krux suggested... that may help out some..

Originally posted by Krux
its that intel you got in there :p

go ahead and flame me but I have a 1800+ which IS 1500mhz and a slower card (4600) and I get 40 to 60 fps in ut2k3 at the same res he is running and full detail.

on the other hand you might have some of your dets. messing around with your cats. (hehe) and screwing up performance. but to the point of 2-10 fps I dunno...... I can turn on 4xS (for D3D) and not take a hit like that, it seems a bit extreme unless you got like FSAA and astrop. filtering on like 6x and 8x

Sounds like we have a similar system, my 4600 card is 128Mb and I also have a PIV 1800. But with 900Mb ram I'd still expect more performance than the 30-50 FPS i'm getting.

How important is FSB in relation to these game speed issues (MOBO D845HV)?

Mubbers

I will get more ram next month I believe this is what makes U2 and UT2k3 run slow on my machine,I found some tweaks for U2 from 3d rage website posted by windmiller.( iahvem't tested them yet)
Has anyone seen a site tht has Tweaks or Optimized settings for Unreal2 ? As there listed I'll compile them in this first post. *BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR UNREAL2.INI FILE BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

(Edit within unreal2.ini)

[Engine.GameEngine] and set
-CacheSizeMegs= 256if you have 512 megs of ram
-CacheSizeMegs= 128if you have 256 megs of ram
-Reducemouselag to false
-UseStaticMeshBatching=True

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] and set
-UseTripleBuffering=True
-UseStencil=True
-LevelOfAnisotropy=0
-ReduceMouseLag=False
-UseCompressedLightmaps=True
-UseTripleBuffering=True *if you are using V-sync
-DesiredRefreshRate= 60change to DesiredRefreshRate= 85or 100 *whatever rate your monitor can handle

[WinDrv.WindowsClient] and set
-MinDesiredFrameRate=10. 000000change to MinDesiredFrameRate=28. 000000or50 .000000

CONSOLE SETTINGS

stat fps- shows fps in top center

timedemo1 -shows fps lower right

GAME SETTINGS

-Turn Off EAX

i have a p4 2.0ghz, and both of those games run fine for me on highest settings and at 12x10. It is very playable for me. my card is a geforce 4 ti 4200 128. ut2k3 runs fine for me too , much better than u2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back