Athlon XP Cooling Question

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political Access
I just bought a Athlon XP 1700+. However, i bought a cooling fan only rated for up to a 1.3GHz. Will my processor burn out with a fan that has a max rate of 1.3GHz?

JJB6486

cooling fan

yea i'd be sure to get a better fan,i 'd look at newegg.com and
check out their selection. i think you want something like a volcano6 or so but do go w/ something rated higher,amd's run
hot , but they're sweet!:D

I agree. Why take the chance. A $30 fan vs. the cost of a new processor. I'd either go with whatever AMD recommends or higher.

cooling

i have a 1 ghz tbird. it runs at a constant 45C with case put together and a constant 41C with side left open. yes cooler with the case open, i figured the other way around. but this is the fan config i have in a nice size tower:

1. cpu fan
2. power supply fan
3. inlet case fan
4. outlet case fan
5. another outlet turbo fan that fits in a pci slot
6. a case fan that i have rigged inside (middle of everything)(LOL) to keep air circulating

most people tell me their equivilant cpu runs about 55C, im happy with 45C.

yah dont use the 1.3 on it
i know someone who had a serious prob when he did
the processer was constantly at 70c until it died
warranty didnt cover it :)

i got athlon 1000
full tower case
3 case fans
2 drive bay fans
2 harddisk fans
athlon 1.5ghz approved fan from Global wind + heatsink paste
videocard fan
one case fan that ive bought seperately but instead of cooling the case i have it pointing near the cpu
pci slot fan for the cards
and theres a bit fan thats attached to some chip on the board too

cpu temp rarely goes above 30c
sounds like a jet taking off... especially since i have my side panel open as im getting in more ram next week but i hope it will be quieter onces its back
not that it matters, i got used to the noise

Your processor probably will not burn up with that fan but will run hotter which will reduce the life of the processor. In the long run it will be better to get an approved fan for the processor, there are a number of them between $20 and $30. You can find a list of them at the AMD web site.

You can"t be too careful when it comes to cooling. I found that most quality HSF will do the job. I have a 1.4 Ghz 266 Athlon
running o/c at 1.53. What I did was buy three of the popular
HSF and tested each one on the system running 3dmark 2001.
The results follows:
GlobalWin WBK-38 @ idle- 42 / after 3dmark 2001- 50
Thermosonic ThermalEngine @ idle- 41 / after 3dmark 2001- 48
Vantec CCK-6035D @ idle- 38 / after 3dmark 2001- 44

As you can see, any high quality fan will get the job done. Also,
the Vantec (which I now run) shows the benefits of a copper
heatsink/fan combo. Also if your Bios support it, set a reasonable shutdown temp. in case the fan ever craps out. It can happen.
It is also a good idea to have a fan blowing out the back of the case. I (like Akash) believe in cooling. I have an Antec 1030 file server w/ 2 fans in back, 465 watt Enermax whisper w/2 fans,
Harddrive heatsink w/ 2 fans, Soyo dragon plus w/fans on chipsets(came stock w/1, I added the second), Radeon 8500 w/
aftermarket heatsink/fan combo:eek:

I also have a 80mm fan for the back of the case. Would it be better to have the fan take in air from outside and blow it on the processor or to suck air out of the case off the processor?

JJB

It is better to have the air blowing out of your hot case interior. I have tried mine ina variety of different ways and using the smartguardian moniter that comes with the Dragon+ it shows a definite advantage. If you have a fan for the front of the case, set that as an intake and the rear as exhaust.
http://www.coolerguys.com/index.shtml
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/
Here are 2 good places, I have ordered from both. Also, if you do set one up as intake look into the fan filters. They really keep the dust out. ;)

which mobo do u have?

Soyo Dragon Plus with a Athlon XP 1700+

I cancelled the 1.3GHz fan and replaced it one rated for up to 1.9GHz. Only cost me another $20 :(

But i would rather waste $20 than $300 because i burned out my processor :D

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back