Athlon XP 1900+ w/ Asus A7V266-E, good combo?

P

Pfieffdog

I was looking into building a new machine and I was wondering if the Athlon XP 1900+ goes well with the ASUS A7V266-E? Does anyone have this combo or seen reviews on it? I can get the combo w/ fan and heatsink for $400. I am probably going to build this combo right after the new year unless someone has a better motherboard idea for this CPU. Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Pfieff

asus motherboards

I have the asus a7v with 1 ghz tbird and Love it! Asus a7 series are great motherboards and very easy to configure for the beginner.

Another motherboard brand to consider would be Abit. Abit and asus are my top picks. With abit, you will ussually get 6 pci slots intead of asus 5 slots. Not that big of a deal.

Hope this helps!

Another question that I have is, Is it really worth it to go for the A7V266 or will the A7V133 get the job done? There is about a $40 difference in price on the combo package. Thanks

-Pfieff

you question...

definately go with the 266 with a 1.9ghz and also get some good (name brand vs. generic) ddr memory. You want to get the fastest front side bus motherboard that the cpu can handle. If you get the 133, might as well get a 1ghz. Spend the extra ducks, it will be a nicer machine and be up to date longer.

remember with the tbird, they do run alittle hot, so provide ample airflow in the case. My 1ghz tbird runs about 47C with case closed and 43C with case open. This seems to be about the average.

Another quick ?, the 1900+ with the A7V266 combo is $400, where as the 1800+ on the same board is $330. Is it worth the extra $70 to go from a 1.533 to a 1.6GHz? Also, I was going to get some crucial DDR PC2100, do I want the ECC or the non-parity? THanks in advance for any replies.

-Pfieff

mb combo

I would definately go for the cheaper combo. a difference of less than 100 mhz isnt worth the $70.

As far as crucial, it is good memory. I am not for sure of the answer to your question about it. I will leave that to the experts. (im not a real tek, just a hobby...lol).

I have the A7V266-E with a 1600+, unless you really need the 1900+ I would recommend waiting until the price comes down, I paid $130 for the 1600. ASUS says to use non-parity memory.

Thanks, i ordered the board this morning with the 1800+ and an upgraded ball bearing fan for $326. I think they had a typo on the price but they confirmed it for me so its all good. I made sure it was the A7V266-E not just the A7V266.

Good combo..

Yea.. I have the combo too.. just got it a week ago.. works AWESOME! The only problem i had was with the onboard sound.. the computer would rest/freez itself whenever it decided.. i got a real sound card and dissabled the onboard sound in the bios.. after that havnt had any problems at all! running fine no crashes.. VERY STABLE.. i even put on 3DMark 2001 and ran it for 6 hours consistant to test its stablility.. ran fine the whole time no freez ups and very fast.. all in all Excelent cobo and watch out for the onboard sound.. later
- Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back