Athlon vs Pentium

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
I've not long ago bought a new Athlon XP 2000 system. What is the difference with the athlon xp's and the pentium 4s. And which is better?

plz dont start one of these again :(
unless u really need it
you could try a search for it in the forums
im sure u'll get a LOT of results

Glad you brought it up! Well, the Pentiums run cooler, are more reliable and generally out-perform the Athlons but are a bit more pricey. Any rebuttals to the above are more than welcome. What the hell, its not like were wasting paper or something.:D

Yeh.
I have a 1700xp and... well.. lets just say im getting a P4 next time.

They run cooler, they are more stable (although AMD seem to be getting better all the time.) and just all round kewler. (plus they LOOK way kewler then athlons).

The only trouble is they are alot more expensive for the cream of the crop.

At the time of buying my current system i was on a budget so i went for a AMD. Now im working again i can afford a P4.

Im just waiting for Duel DDR on the P4 along with the NV30 chip and ill be getting rid of this AMD machine.

Ric

But is it not true the the Athlon does more per mega herts than the pentuims?

P4 Rules!

I am also running on a pentium 4 machine and have never ever had a problem with it. It is much cooler, reliable and you dont have to worry about leaving it on in the summer with no AC. Also they have much better technology than amd's and are worth their money. Some amd people talk about the clawhammer....:eek:
Well when the clawhammer comes out, there will be like a 3.2 ghz pentium 4 probably 633 mhz fsb and 768 kb of CAche lol!!

I've been saying it for months now. P4's rule all around! I await the barrage of rotten tomatoes from the AMD clan...

First of all, with any AMD processors in the last 2 years, realiability has not been a major issue for the average regularly clocked CPU user. Secondly, almost any AMD CPU you buy will out perform its Intel counterpart. I've been running a Duron 650, overclocked to 900 with regular cooling, and have never had a stability issue, the heat may run a bit high, although not nearly high enough to comprimise stability, which just goes to show you how much these AMD chips can take. If you're having issues with YOUR AMD cpu, you're doing something wrong.

-Ray

The only people who like Pentiums, are those people that can afford them.

(In England Anyhow)

Look lads I was not looking for a childish ' mine is better than yours debate'. All I wanted to know is which is better and why. When I bought this system It was advertised as out performing a p4 2.2 gig. They said it did more per mega herts than the p4. But you know how miss leading adverts can be. Grow up

yeah.. u realli should stick to it...
amd or pent is not important as long as the system is stable......

AMD over Intel....Intel over AMD?

OK. First of all, all CPUs have issues. One of the first pentiums couldn't even count correctly. AMDs were also unreliable in the past. The past. I run a 1.6 XP 1900+ and I am very happy of it. I don't know if it's my RAM, or the speed of the CPU itself, or whatever, but, my friend just bought a new Gateway, for almost twice as much as it cost me to build my pc, and his is a P4 1.9 GHZ...I did benchmark tests ( If I had saved it, I would post it... ) and my computer pretty much outran his. Not saying that Intel Pentiums are bad, they aren't, I have another, older machine that I have been using for, uh, over 5 years, and I works fine. ( Yes, I realize it is slow :p ) AMD is just different from whatever Intel manages to make. Although Pentium processors are somewhat tech ahead of whatever AMD has, it still does not mean that P4 is faster. AMD is pretty much cheap compared to Intel Pentium's prices. Both CPUs do pretty good, and my opinion is that both are pretty much great for the average user, who plays games once in a while, surfs, and does stuffies in MS Office, or whatever he or she has. Then again, thats just what I think. Does anyone think/know/believe/ whatever :) graphics preformance greatly varies by CPU type?

To answer your question, yes, an Athlon does a little more work for clock cycle than a Pentium 4. Your system is probably comparable to a P4 2.0 GHz system. That's what the 2000+ stands for in Athlon XP 2000+. As far as which chip is bettter, each one has many advantages as well as disadvantages. P4's are super stable but very expensive. Athlons are cheaper, do more work per clock cycle, but the chipsets (mainly VIA) tend to have compatibility issues. Hope this answers your question.

that sys u got there
can probably beat out a p4 2ghz...
maybeeee a 2.2 ghz if o/c'd.....buh i aint to sure if it can a 2.2ghz p4

Quote: "Look lads I was not looking for a childish ' mine is better than yours debate'."

You should have known better...

Originally posted by NegativeFactor
The only people who like Pentiums, are those people that can afford them.

(In England Anyhow)

Yes, Exacally. P4s are better. But you pay more for them.

Bang for your buck AMD are better, but there are downsides which everyone know.

Ric

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back