Athlon 64 Cool n Quiet in action

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
and there she is lads... :D

installed latest drivers and what not and lo and behold... it really does drop down to 800mhz when cpu load is minimal :D (ie you only have about 5-6 IE windows and a coupla background apps going)

temps and fan speed are lower now since I turned on cool n quiet fan support as well... had forgotten to do it earlier...

Attachments

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Sweet :D
The 2.4GHz Northwood in my laptop (desktop CPU) runs at just about the same temperatures when idle, and hits about 58C on a continuous full load.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
I am running @ about 30C right now... :D

notice the clock speed... i dont notice a lack of performance @ all in day to day apps...

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Of course not, unless I am compiling a program from source in Linux/BSD I can't really tell the difference between a 1GHz and 2GHz. I always laugh when the salemen are talking to someone and the conversation is as follows:

Fool: Well I just want to surf the web and read emails
Sales: OK well I'd suggest a $2000 Dell for that, if you want to play games, go with the $3000 model.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
$2000 dell :eek:

:)

my bro works for dell btw :D and their email et al systems start around 500-600 USD for a decent system..

but I was expecting a performance hit when I run the ati tv app plus word n stuff.. but multitasking is just chewed up :)

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
no... you have to ensure the mobo supports cool n quiet...

its built into the cpu so you don't have to worry about it there...

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
NetRyder said:
So is this "Cool n Quiet" something like SpeedStepping, but for desktop systems?
a bit like they use in amd's mobile system's but a first for desktops...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janiceboyd