Athlon 1900+ XP??

A

AaronMcarthur

I've seen in many ppl's info, they say they have athlon 1700's and 1800's and now 1900's......exactly what r these numbers representing or is it a model#?

Those numbers are AMD's perforce rating or in simple terms it means that a 1700+ does the same amount of process as a 1.7 ghz chip but at a slower clock speed

it's just a model number, I know the 1800+ is 1.53. I think it's a way of comparing their CPUs to the intels

the model number means that its able to run as fast as the pentium 4 chips. like the Athlon XP 1900+ is 1.6GHz and its able to keep up with the pentium 4 1.9ghz chip or faster

How do u know how many ghz these model numbers equal up to be.........and instead of me buying a inten pentium 4 processor chip.....wud i be looking for amd 1700 and 1800 and so on.....?

Originally posted by AaronMcarthur
How do u know how many ghz these model numbers equal up to be.........and instead of me buying a inten pentium 4 processor chip.....wud i be looking for amd 1700 and 1800 and so on.....?

It really all depends on yer preference. Intel or AMD, the 1700+ or 2100+ is the way AMD is challenging Intel on actual CPU processing. AMD is saying that the clock speed is not relevant to the performance of the CPU in relation to actual processing.

AMD is stating that, example: A 2100+ Athlon is as fast as a 2.1 Ghz Pentium 3 or 4...ummmm... whatever. But it is only at an actual clock speed of... say1.8 or 1.9 Ghz.

Thank You... Got the speeds wrong :rolleyes: :p

i dont remember the actual speeds, but i know the 1600+ is 1.4Ghz cuz that what i use :D

try the amd website, they should have the numbering system listed there

if you really want to truely know what the 1900 and 1700 and so on, numbers mean go to amd's web site and look at the whitepaper and they tell you all about it in there and it explaiens everything about the chips. but in short the number stands for a performance rating

well when u actually have one in your computer u can check the speed either at your post screen when u start it up or right click my computer and hit properties and it will give u the the brand and number and speed

I got it now, thank you everyone.

Athlon XP 1800+ can outperform a 1.8ghz
Athlon XP 1600+ can outperform a 1.6ghz

I understand it now.

WHat should i chose if i were building a computer, AMD Athlon XP or Intel Pentium 4.

How long is it ognna be before a P5 comes out?

i'd say go with amd
their chips cost less
perform the same or better
i would have if i knew about that :(

Well which chip u get is ur choice. But if u r looking for advice I agree that an AMD is cheaper price wise the a Pentium 4. However that said from what I've read the newest Pentium 4's actually outperfrom AMD Althon XP due to the fact that Intel increased the front side bus speed and added a larger level 2 cache to the chip. If ur on a tight budget go AMD if u what that fastest chip go Intel. For all practical purpose's u will not notice any different in performace between an AMD and an Intel chip unless u benchmark them.

I don't really like pentium 4 because of the price, its just crazy what they are charging you. The athlon give over all good performance but the one problem i dont like is the heating.
i have athlon 1ghz and evertime i play video games, i have to open my computer panel for ventilation to prevent from freezing
also i dont like wasting a whole lotta money on a heatsinker
every product have a negative side.

Yes Intel's chips are dearer.
But you get wot you pay for!
The P4 has much better performance when multitasking and there is no need to "take the side off your case!" when playing games.
Overheating is quite a prob with AMD chips. I know of 3 chips that have burnt out, all AMD. Admittedly the heatsink might not have been seated correctly, but the people who where fitting them are far from what I would call stupid and had read all the docs on fitting the heatsink and fan. Yet the chips still burnt out within 2yrs of purchase. This is what I find scary about AMD chips! A P4 on the other hand would have throttled back or shutdown if the heat had got too high!
In my experiance I have only ever heard of 3 chips buning out they were all AMD and none of these had been overclocked.

he said that

A P4 on the other hand would have throttled back

is that not the same ???

Right so the Heatsink/fan that comes with the chip is insufficient and the end user is supposed to know this when they purchase a m/b, memory, chip heatsink and fan from a retailer of AMD chips.
The fact of the matter is that if you buy a AMD chip and the fan fails or the heatsink is not fitted correctly its gonna cost for a new chip. I on the other hand don't have that worry.

Originally posted by catch23
You missed the whole point of the post...
:confused: would that be yours ? Goldy? or the thread starter
AaronMcarthur
I've seen in many ppl's info, they say they have athlon 1700's and 1800's and now 1900's......exactly what r these numbers representing or is it a model#?
;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back