Athlon 1900+ XP??

Right so now we've got to look out for the AMD chips that are dodgy. How exactly do we do this?
By the way I did not say retail AMD chips I said Retailers of AMD chips.

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45

:confused: would that be yours ? Goldy? or the thread starter
AaronMcarthur

;)

I think that it has been established that 1900+ is a modle no. and not a clock speed. The Q that I'm answering is:- Which chip would be recommended and I'm just offering my experiance.
What do you think Colt ?

So when you buy a chip weather it be OEM or Retail you can't ask for a suitable heatsink and fan, and when you look at the packaging on the heatsink/fan and it states that it is suitable for your chip, you should not believe it. Well I think your right cos for some AMD chips there is no suitable heatsink/fan.
Dispite this if your fan fails, which does happen it does not really matter wot heatsink you've got! The AMD will burn. Just look at Toms Hardware and watch as the chip melts through the board.

Originally posted by catch23
Of course...anything that's newer than two years old will burn without a fan and heatsink

The P4 would shutdown should the fan fail and the temp begin to rise! not start melting anything that it comes into contact with and eventually burn out.

yes I agree with catch on his line of posts here in this thread...

go with amd if you want performance/price that is excellent/low...

also the numbering system is representative of the equivalent performance of an intel processor... of course going above the 2100+ series you are getting a little farther away from reality... the northwoods are performing better by this stage...

the 1900+ is a good processor...

considering the heatsink... anything that has an amd logo above around 600 mhz NEEDS a heatsink... you can aircool if you want...

the xp series of athlons need proper heatsinks and some of them are not that easy to plop on... however for the person who burnt out 3 processors... amd athlon xp's are very resilient to heat contrary to popular belief... they can take high temps... to burn them out whoever put them in did something wrong... you cna't burn out 3 straight without doing something wrong..

if you actually think about it... you would NOT mind paying another 20 dollars for a GOOD heatsink that will keep your cpu running at any cpu usage... and your temps at a manageable level... also USE thermal paste... it helps conduct heat better but read up on it.. I know of people plopping a pound of thermal grease onto their cpu coolers and then complaining about temps... um... heat can't conduct as well through a pound of sludge :)

final words? go with what catch is saying... save some money... buy an AMD processor and heatsink/thermal grease and you are set...

about the temps... a lot of motherboards are coming out with safety features.. I believe that Asus has an autodetect feature that shuts the system down when teh temp goes above the trigger level... :)

:D g.luck making a decision.. but 1800 is best price and 1900 is not a bad processor..

go for a higher cfm fan....
thinking of buyin a new cpu fan.... mayb 53cfm......

oh and BUY OEM and use the money you saved over the retail and get a good heatsink :)

Your problem with overheating AMDs would be the heatsink...most people seem to think that stock coolers are fine when you get into these higher speeds...they're not.

The only reason the Pentium 4s aren't overheating for you, is being they use Burst Technology...when they start getting hot...they don't work as much..so the temperature goes down.

But the Intels run fine on stock coolers AMD's dont, they tend to run a little on the warm side.

And burst tech is good, it protectes you cpu from overheating even if your overclocking....
:p

Consider

Do you really need such a fast chip ??????
From XP-erience front page
Don't fall for the marketing hype. The truth is that nearly any PC running a 600MHz or faster processor is adequate for most purposes, and a processor that runs at 1GHz or thereabouts is sufficient for all but the most demanding tasks.

It's what makes the AthlonXPs so much better :p

I can use all of my processor when I want...wow..what a concept.

And I still stay well under 50°C

Compare benches dude.:D

Re: Re: Consider

I don't thikn people with a 600mhz processor have much fun on GTAIII....

I dont think they have much fun doing anything.:rolleyes:

yup... i think gta3 would lagging like helll....
i had play this games in different com..... amd 1.0 a bit lag......
pIII 800.... lag a bit more..............
my 1... sometimes lag a BIT.....

here's my take...

whatever you do BUY THE BEST MOTHERBOARD YOU CAN AFFORD...

after that you can do whatever... buy the cheapest cpu that your mobo can take and so on and so forth... but if you have a good mobo you get more features and don't necessarily have to spend on other stuff...

I had an amd k6-2 and it was great for almost anything I needed... but you start compiling stuff or trying to do anything with recording movies/projects et al and you realise YEs you need more power...

at the moment I can record tv programs to my hard drive and i actually enjoy that quite a bit...

do you need anything more than a gig right now? well the programs being designed RIGHT NOW require that you have generally a minimum 300 odd mhz to perform operations... and less if you are going to surf the web... I recommend a gigiahertz to be able to run things smoothly and multitask... something I coudln't do before on my 450 but can do now on my 1.6 gig processor...

and YES catch is right I would rather have all my cpu to use when I want than something that slows to a crawl..

I have multitasked on my brothers pentium computer running at 1.4 and it is SAD to say it does actually slow down..

never knew why... but with my current computer yes the temp goes up about 2-3 degrees but everything works perfect...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Consider

They don't ;o)

Compare benches? You mean one comparing a 2.533ghz Pentium 4 versus a 1.73ghz AthlonXP? hahaha

No 1.7 AMD should compare to a 3.5 gh pent or something???:confused:

Lets not get into this again catch, we been down this road b4.

And we are obviously not gonna change.

Buy what cpu you can afford, if you have a issue with heat/ HSF noise, buy the P4. If you dont care about heat/fan noise....buy the amd its cheaper.

lol... agreed catch23...

basically northwood processors not only are faster in clock speed they have more cache...

but if you compare clock per clock the amount of work they do... um... you MIGHT have a difference there in amd's favor...

:)

Originally posted by Grinder
Buy what cpu you can afford, if you have a issue with heat/ HSF noise, buy the P4. If you dont care about heat/fan noise....buy the amd its cheaper.

well.. if you actually do not want the sounds of a heatsink fan... buy a proper heatsink with variable speeds and a large cfm displacement..

pentiums are not bad processors... are they better than amd? thats relative... give me 2 cpu's one amd and one intel and if they have SAME specs and SAME processor speed... its OBVIOUS which one will perform better... you know that as well grinder...

pentiums cost more because of their process and the larger amount of cache... amd does not have as much cache and they have a different process where their processors cost less... something that they can pass onto the users.. and we go ahead and buy them because of the excellent peformance we are getting...

pentiums would be worth it but are you really paying for performance? I dunno mate... they are not really geared for the average user now are they?

argument can go anyway....

Agreed, but Intel is starting to leave AMD in the dust now.....

They better hurry up with this Clawhammer. If its faster, hell I may buy one.

But I can not help but go with the faster processor....I could give 2 $hits what the clocks per cycle is....I want the faster processor, Period.

And its my $$$ to spend, I work for it, and Ill spend it.

I have just got rid of a AMD 2000+ and it was a nice, fast processor.

Thanks, but I like My Intel P4, and I can see a difference. Espically in temps, and in performance.

Originally posted by Sazar

well.. if you actually do not want the sounds of a heatsink fan... buy a proper heatsink with variable speeds and a large cfm displacement..

pentiums are not bad processors... are they better than amd? thats relative... give me 2 cpu's one amd and one intel and if they have SAME specs and SAME processor speed... its OBVIOUS which one will perform better... you know that as well grinder...

pentiums cost more because of their process and the larger amount of cache... amd does not have as much cache and they have a different process where their processors cost less... something that they can pass onto the users.. and we go ahead and buy them because of the excellent peformance we are getting...

pentiums would be worth it but are you really paying for performance? I dunno mate... they are not really geared for the average user now are they?

argument can go anyway....

For the record dude, I had a volcano 7+ with my 2000+, any speed but low, it was loud....thats the main reason why I got rid of it.

where can i find the melting processor on toms hardware, i dont see it there

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back