Athlon 1800XP, no boot when FBS on 133MHz !

I had the same problem with my 1ghz thunderbird, the problem was that my memory was broken, so it couldt take 133mhz (266mhz ddr), so try changing your memory with a friend and try then

Again... u didn't read my whole message.
I ALREADY changed the memory.

ok, the heat sink SHOULD BE cold, air-conditioning >> CPU heat

and i already tried disconnecting my drives and PCI cards i don't need.

its not that.
with my old part it managed to boot into windows, then after like half an hour get stuck, when cpu was loaded alot.
now it won't boot at all

well I suppose it is better to just wait if your friend is looking at it...

the symptoms you described in your first posts suggested a possible heatsink problem... but if thats not the case... heck I don't know...

the lads are generally discussing other problems that they have had and stuff.. don't mind em... its fun to learn new stuff...

I too am a bit dumbfounded about the whole my heatsink is cold statement... on an 1800+ there is heat generated... and unless your heatsink has an incorporated airconditioner :D the temp should not be COLD... the heatsink is supposed to be a little warm to show that it is doing its job if you know what I mean... try some hardcore gaming or something to stress out your cpu and if it is still cold then you will know what I mean...

alternatively your heatsink could be amazing and disipate all the heat therefore not warming up... :D I dunno but I never heard of a cold heatsink on an XP CPU...

g.luck when your friend gives it back to you...

PSU was not the prob then? since you have not mention it on this page...

:) g.luck

my hsf was cold when it was delivered...not cold when running it in computer....amazing cooling you got.....u in a meat locker?

oh well i had same problem found out was bad mobo

urs probably bad too even if new, memory probably bad too......get new ones again

I've told u guys, my Air-conditioing is turned on to 24c, its damn
cold here in my room.. the heaksink normaly is hot, but with the AC its cold, and thats good.

When the case is close, and no AC, my cpu goes to 60c when I
check it in BIOS, when on fbs 133.
i've tried removing all hardware not essential to the comp, didn't work.

I've copied to important parts of my error message when windows
fails to boot :
-----------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down
to prevent damage to your computer.

blah blah disable shadow and cache, blah blah

*** STOP : 0x0000000A ( 0x8B000000, 0x00000001, 0x805000CE6)
----------------------------------------

Thats it.

I've pulled out my NICs and the error message has change to :
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_EREA
0x00000050

i'm starting to think WinXP itself is going crazy

Even if your room is freezing, your heatsink should be at least warm to the touch..and I noticed you said it didn't come w/ any thermal compound? Dude, you're frying your cpu! Put some thermal compound/paste/whatever on there.

I'm paying money for a cpu that should WORK.
i WILL NOT pay even one dollar more for any such cooling devices.
i pay for cpu, it should work, if it doesn't its not my problem, let AMD buy me a heatsink, it their problem its not working.

actually the thermal compound isn't really amd's job...they didn't have to put the heatsink and fan on if they didn't want to...
and then u woulda have to buy that..

So, actually, they are selling cpus that doesn't work.
they are obligated to sell electronics that work, it is
not up to me trying to make it work.

and hence with that statement you are saying what?

you are OBLIGATED to put together a piece of machinery...

OEM versions may/may not have heatsinks when sold... retial versions HAVE a heatsink...

the cpu will work fine... for about a second without a heatsink... YOU or whoever is setting up the system for you is obligated to PUT the heatsink on the CPu... the stuff they give you works... you just have to put it together...

now concerning your problems... I am still wondering about the heatsink... no mention of the PSU therefore I will not even bother to mention it :)

might be the mobo if you are getting funky errors... XP should not generate those errors at random... it has to be something... XP at fault.. it can be repaired and patched up... simple as that..

so coming back to your comments... cpu does work most cases... if it does not AMD will replace that... or should... or the retailer you got it from should... but if YOU fry the chip by improperly putting on the heatsink... that is YOUR fault (and by you I mean yourself or your dealership friend)

heatsink's are HIGHLY recommended to be put on with thermal compound... else they do not conduct heat as well through the heatsink...

one last thing...

its should be FSB not FBS.... its front side bus... not front bus side... :D

cheers...

VSync, it looks like we cannot assist you here at xp-erience.org. Please kindly return the product to the place you got it at and ask for help. Have a good day.

well, sorry to bother you all, i'll quit harrasing you.

Thanks for all the messages. your good guys.

Don't give up so easily and don't have any pre-conceived ideas.

Just because it might appear that some other people are more knowledgeable does not mean they have the solution.

The key in this area is to state the problem correctly (this is very difficult) and then follow a line of elimination, which should leave the solution, no matter how implausible it might seem.

Some of the hardest problems to solve have simple solutions; the problem was not stated correctly in the first place leading many a (dover) sole down the wrong path.

The reason that this service exists is to help people (all people) to solve problems. This in computing terms is where it’s many nooks and crannies can lead, false turn’s, verification and straightforward dead-ends and misunderstandings. Don’t give up, keep asking,

well, ok :)

The temp goes to 70c when on fsb 133, i think that my heatsink
isn't enough and that I need to get a thermal compound like AC3 to
put on the cpu and heatsink, maybe that is the missing part..

are you saying u dont have any thermal paste between the HSF and the CPU???
U SHOULD
and yes...Arctic Silver 3 will do nicely

Originally posted by Vsync
I'm paying money for a cpu that should WORK.
i WILL NOT pay even one dollar more for any such cooling devices.
i pay for cpu, it should work, if it doesn't its not my problem, let AMD buy me a heatsink, it their problem its not working.

Dave: We do try to help but when they have an attitude like this, do you feel like trying to help?

People tried to suggest thermal paste between the cpu and heat sink but he wouldn't listen and blabbed on about how he shouldn't need to pay for it.

Its your own responsibility to follow the instructions. The chip works and you chose not to run it properly. When you got the heatsink, i'm pretty sure they woulda had thermal tape or at least a packet of silicon paste with it. Read the instructions and it tells you to put the paste/tape between the cpu and where it makes contact with the heatsink. Unless your a/c is directly aimed at your heatsink it will never be cold to the touch. Even if you have a normal fan (i mean the ones we use to cool ourselves) blasting at it, it will still be warm to the touch.

Mbunny & Vsync: -

I can remember struggling like this many years ago with power supply designs. Thermal paste (heat sink compound) to most computer assembly buffs or low-voltage aficionados forms part of the tools of the trade, if you have the necessary training and knowledge. Can you buy it at you local store? Do motherboard/CPU retailers stock it? It’s been my experience that even at large retail computer outlets in the UK most have never heard of it, including so called in-house help and support personnel. I’ve had a recent bout with so called technical support personnel where the store security officer actually new more that the in-house professionals.

Ok modern CPU heat sinks come with the (mandatory) plastic pad that has the compound in place, but what happens if it’s a return to the store, do they re-apply the compound? Don’t think so; and as this type of sink has to be orientated correctly (in both planes) or the plastic pad will be connect to the CPU and not the metal, applying compound will not help either as there will be a small gap between the CPU and heat sink.

Just for the sake of clarity, this may not be the problem, but I suspect it’s a contributory factor.

Young or new people to this game require our help and support if possible, what took me twenty or more years to learn by training and tria-and-error can be learned here in a week (well nearly).

Keep helping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back