• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ATA133/ATA100cable/onlyATA66????

Well I have a Maxtor 60GB ATA133, ATA100 cable, yet its running at ATA66, and yes its WinXP Pro with SP1. FYI the motherboard is an Asus A7V. Any explainations would be great thanks.

Yeah, Windows will get its DMA settings based on values set in the BIOS itself. So if the BIOS setting is incorrect, Windows will set it to a lower setting too.

Theres no way to set anything in the bios other than the raid control to disable/enable which is disabled since i dont use those connections. And bios shows UDMA4 on boot. Anything else guys/gals?

R

RobbieSan

are you sure your board supports ATA100 or 133? if so, usually settings are adjusatble in BIOS, if not maybe there some jumpers..

The board supports ATA100 for sure I dont know about 133.....I will check on the jumper thing but i havent know Asus to use jumpers much for that.

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
Well, if it's the plain old Asus A7V then go to this page:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v/overview.htm

The additional upgrades provided include up to 7 USB ports and Promise® PCI-ATA100 controller for Ultra DMA/100 support.

And on this page:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7v/specification.htm

*Chipset
VIA® VT8363 (KT133) AGPset supports 200MHz FSB and 3.3V PC133 SDRAM & VC133 VCM (Virtual Channel Memory)
VIA® 82C686A South Bridge & Super I/O to Support ACPI and SMBus.
Onboard Promise® PCI-ATA100 Controller

*IDE Ports
2 x Ultra DMA/66 EIDE Ports
Support CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-R/RW, ZIP and LS-120 Drives

Did you install the Promise Ultra 100TM IDE Controller Driver?
And do you you have the UDMA/100 ribbon cable connected to the Promise controller and not the normal DMA/66?

Again If it's the plain A7V it doesn't support UATA/133 and it only supports UDMA/100 (same thing as UATA/100) if you use the onboard promise controller. But you probably have to install the Driver for it to function.

Here is the page with the Drivers:

http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp?l1=1&l2=10&l3=1&mid=1

But they are only listing Drivers for Win9x/ME/NT4/2000.

Ok, I got ATA100 working. I switched to the promise controller instead of the normal primary IDE. Thank you guys for all the info. I cant wait to get my A7V333R, it will make things much easier.

G

GhaLeoN

i had that problem before with my old asus a7vPRO

all it took in the end was a bios update

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
Originally posted by WildOptic
Ok, I got ATA100 working. I switched to the promise controller instead of the normal primary IDE. Thank you guys for all the info. I cant wait to get my A7V333R, it will make things much easier.
Great :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierge