Ata 100

F

FourDiceS

How can I see if ata 100 is enable on my maxtor 30 gig 7200 rpm!?

I don't know if it likes the old ata 66 models when you had to
enable it..?

Thanks

What kind of controller is your drive attached to. Onboard raid, onboard ATA100, separate controller card?

You could also check that, if you go to your device manager and look at your harddrive controller properties.
Here you can find out what ata speed your harddisk is using. If your mobo supports ata100 it should choose that by default though.

I have onboard ATA100/RAID controllers (Abit KT7A-RAID) so how can tell if my hard drives (2 40 gig Western Digitals) set to ATA100?

Also how do enable wtie caching on the disk? I don't have this option on my hard drive properties.

Go here:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm

At the bottom of the page, there's a download for a program called "Raid Administrator." Get the one that matches your bios and driver. A nice little GUI where you can see your drive mode in XP. You can also look in your raid bios. You should have two bios screens showing up at boot time. At the one for your raid controller, press ctrl+h to enter it and check your mode there too.

I have the KT7-Raid.

I'm not sure about the write caching question. Hopefully someone else will help you with that one.

Originally posted by Lonman
Go here:

At the bottom of the page, there's a download for a program called "Raid Administrator." Get the one that matches your bios and driver. A nice little GUI where you can see your drive mode in XP. You can also look in your raid bios. You should have two bios screens showing up at boot time. At the one for your raid controller, press ctrl+h to enter it and check your mode there too.

I have the KT7-Raid.

I'm not sure about the write caching question. Hopefully someone else will help you with that one.
I'm not running them in raid mode.

many people dont know, but you also have to download manufatures drivers from their website and run the utility to enable ata100 from a bootdisk and you calso have to enable it from within windows and your built-in raid controller if you have one.

Originally posted by xeonox
many people dont know, but you also have to download manufatures drivers from their website and run the utility to enable ata100 from a bootdisk and you calso have to enable it from within windows and your built-in raid controller if you have one.

ummm I downloaded the drivers from Abit's website and there was no utility with it, so I am assuming that it is defaulted for ATA100.

ZipTrix, I thought it was FourDiceS listing his system specs. The Raid Administrator Programs works even though you don't have your drives in an array. I have a single drive on my Raid controller. The only thing I use the Raid Administrator is for information purposes - it's the only way i've found to verify my Mode 5 status of my hard drive from within XP.

And again, you can also go into your Raid Controller's bios at boot-up to set/verify your Mode 5 disk status.

ZipTrix, I thought it was FourDiceS listing his system specs. The Raid Administrator Programs works even though you don't have your drives in an array. I have a single drive on my Raid controller. The only thing I use the Raid Administrator is for information purposes - it's the only way i've found to verify my Mode 5 status of my hard drive from within XP.

And again, you can also go into your Raid Controller's bios at boot-up to set/verify your Mode 5 disk status.
Well it didn't find my hard drives...maybe because I'm using a driver that wasn't listed..

You need to use the version that matches your bios and driver.
ummmm you have a link? bios as in system bios?

You can go here to get an updated m/b bios:

http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/download/bios/bios-kt7a-raid.htm

This will also update your Raid Controller' Bios to version 1.11.0402.

If you haven't updated your m/b bios before then this will update your Award Bios to either "S645 (for series 1.3 or newer), or 64" depending on what series motherboard you have. Look here to help you find your motherboard's version, as well as bios flash instructions:

http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/download/bios/help.htm

The "sister" driver for the v1.11.0402 raid bios is v1.11.0512, and you can get it here (as well as the Raid Administrator "370RAID_1.11.0402_GUI.zip"):

Follow the flash instructions to a tee - you mess that up and you'll have a very large nik nak that won't boot up and you'll have to buy a new bios chip for your motherboard.

If you have any questions post them, especially if you've never done it before.

well my bios is the lastest version and there is no XP driver with the newset MB BIOS version (only 98/NT/2000).

That's correct. ATI hasn't incorporated the newest HPT 370 (v2.0.0919) bios into thier flash utility. However, you can still use the v1.11.0512 driver from highpoint. XP will complain about it during update (not signed), but they do work ok.

You can get a modified bios for your motherboard that includes the latest HPT 370 bios from a third party. I used one myself and now run both the v2.0.0919 HPT 370 bios and driver, while maintaining my "64" award bios.

Because this is third party, I offer this link for information purposes only. I don't know how to modify a .bin file for bios modification, nor do i know exactly on the site the version for you m/b might reside. You can go here if you like to see what you can find:

http://www.biosmods.com/

In the near future i'll make a post for the modified bios that worked for me, with full instructions how to use it as it relates to my motherboard, the Abit KT7-Raid.

That's correct. ATI hasn't incorporated the newest HPT 370 (v2.0.0919) bios into thier flash utility. However, you can still use the v1.11.0512 driver from highpoint. XP will complain about it during update (not signed), but they do work ok.

You can get a modified bios for your motherboard that includes the latest HPT 370 bios from a third party. I used one myself and now run both the v2.0.0919 HPT 370 bios and driver, while maintaining my "64" award bios.

Because this is third party, I offer this link for information purposes only. I don't know how to modify a .bin file for bios modification, nor do i know exactly on the site the version for you m/b might reside. You can go here if you like to see what you can find:

http://www.biosmods.com/

In the near future i'll make a post for the modified bios that worked for me, with full instructions how to use it as it relates to my motherboard, the Abit KT7-Raid.
I have the KT7A-RAID.....I also got lost on your last post......could you help me out here..heh

Ok, the warning is there, use at your own risk.

I used a modded bios on my board and it's working fine. Not from this source however. From the source i posted above.

I see he's using the beta highpoint bios. I'm not using the beta version.

ok...I'm confused.

I'm using BIOS version 64, so I need to find a modded version of Abit KT7A-RAID BIOS version 64 with the current highpoint drivers?

ok...I'm confused.

I'm using BIOS version 64, so I need to find a modded version of Abit KT7A-RAID BIOS version 64 with the current highpoint drivers?
Yes and no. You need to find the modded bios with the current award bios 64 AND the newest Highpoint Bios. We're talking, in essense, two individual Bios's being burned at the same time. THEN, you get the matching driver for the highpoint bios. Clear as mud??:D

Like I said, in the near future I'll be making a post with this very modded bios with all the instructions needed to use it. If you're motherboard is NOT the version 1.3 or newer (then the one i have will work on your board), then let me know and when i make the post i'll private message you with a link to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back