Asus P4c800e Deluxe Mobo Help With Bios !

homesick1337

Computer Lover
Ok recently I upgrade my bios with the latest update version as usual. But this time I forgot it reset all my settings. So now when I am on my computer it could be 30 minutes or a few hours my monitor says NO SIGNAL and goes black and I gotta reboot my computer.

I got a couple things in my bios that I don't know what they do and what I should set them to. Your advice is greatly needed as I try to trouble shoot these problems.

MPS REVISION: CHOICE 1.1 or 1.4
ICH DELAY TRANSACTION: ENABLE OR DISABLE
SPREAD SPECTRUM: ENABLE OR DISABLE
PCI IDE BUS MASTER: ENABLE OR DISABLE
ALLOCATE IRQ TO PCI VGA: ENABLE OR DISABLE
SUSPEND MODE: AUTO or S1 (POS) ONLY or S3 ONLY
REPOST VIDEO ON S3 RESUME: ENABLE OR DISABLE
ACPI 2.0 SUPPORT: ENABLE OR DISABLE
ACPI APIC SUPPORT: ENABLE OR DISABLE
BIOS-AMI ACPI TABLE: ENABLE OR DISABLE

My hardware specs are

ASUS P4C800-E-DELUXE
P4 3.0 GHZ 800 FSB with H/T ( NO PRESCOTT)
2 sticks of KINGSTON DDR 3200 512MB
2 RAPTOR 36 GIG DRIVES SATA
RADEON 9800 PRO 256 MB
SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 PLATNIUM
GIGABIT ETHERNET CARD
DAZZLE CREATIVE CAPTURE CARD
PIONEAR DVD-R 2X burner
TDK 48 X burner

I was curious if anyone could point out why I could be having these reboot/ monitor going out problems, they only started recently, my monitor goes out if im browsing or sometimes just idle. I could turn my monitor off leave my computer on for 5 hours, I turn it back on signal is lost.

I used DIAGNOSTIC with SYnamentc and it said my hardware all good so I got a feeling its a bios issue since all my settings got reset.

If anyone can point out what those settings do and what I should set them to , please help me.

I greatly appreciate this , and this problem has been causing me a ton of headaches.

You should always go into bios and "reset to defaults" after a bios upgrade then set them to what you want save/exit. Go have a look at the Bios Optimization Guide then you can better understand what those options are for and set them accordingly.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence implied by sendingme a PM to direct me to the thread! Not sure how much help I can directly offer, not familiar with this particular mobo (although I do have an ASUS A7V8X-X).

Anyway - I'd set AGP to 8X to deal with your second post.

As for your BIOS settings I can understand why you suspect them, but I cannot help feeling it might be something else. Is there a BIOS option to reset to safe or to defaults? you could try that and see what happens.... If there is no option then you can achieve virtually the same with a CMOS reset - although this will reset time and date also.

Another thing to try would maybe be running in safe mode and seeing if problem recurrs like that - when you have tried both of these post back here and I feel fairly confident you will get further help!

GL

In response to the private message you sent to me. I will try to help you with some usefull information for you to research.

this website describes wat many of the menus mean in the bios. This isfor an older system but lots of the features are the same,
http://www22.brinkster.com/ivanf/fsbios.html

MPS REVISION: CHOICE 1.1 or 1.4
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=110

Check out [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LostCircuits BIOS guide,
http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/bios2/1.shtml

finally this is one of the best websites to help you.
[/font]
The BIOS Web,

http://www.matrix-bios.nl/

good luck
egghead

Update on problem: I had random crashes again. So heres what I did.

I uninstalled my sound card, hard drives, all my fans, left my water cooling on lower power setting for my proccessor.

Booted my computer with just the video card which I need to view my monitor, 1 stick of memory in slot 1. And it hunt at the bios or rebooted over and over , every time I hit delete to go into my bios.

So I got irritated.

Took my entire computer apart cleaned every part installed it back together. Now I am back in windows thru default settings but its still iffy and I think will reboot on its own again.

My theory is I am running a version of beta bios on my mother board. Its the newest one out from ASUS.

Could this be causing my problem?
A really solid virus ? ( I do run and update my norton av and firewall often)
Bad windows xp sp2? ( i been running windows xp without problems for a year )
Bad mother board?

Theorys? Suggestions?

Could I reflash my mobo to the defauly bios it came with?

What bios version are you using now?

When you flashed it did you read the warning below and make sure you had the right tools before flashing?

1. Do not use old version Afudos.exe to flash BIOS. Must use new Afudos(2.07) to flash BIOS.

2. Using ASUSLiveUpdate to flash BIOS, you need to upgrade ASUSLiveupdate to v 5.22.02 or later before flash BIOS.

American Zombie said:
What bios version are you using now?

When you flashed it did you read the warning below and make sure you had the right tools before flashing?

1. Do not use old version Afudos.exe to flash BIOS. Must use new Afudos(2.07) to flash BIOS.

2. Using ASUSLiveUpdate to flash BIOS, you need to upgrade ASUSLiveupdate to v 5.22.02 or later before flash BIOS.

Yea I think thats my mistake I cant remember if i had the enwest version of afudos, also my file was xxxxx.001 not xxxx.rom is that normal?

Can I reflash my bios to a older version?

What bios do you have on the board right now?

I am gonna get link for newest afudos and yes you can flash back to an older version using afudos.

Edit:
Newest on Asus USA - afudos 2.11
Newest on Asus Germany (one I use to flash with) - afudos 2.18

Bios: 1019

As far as the extension it does not matter as long as you put full file name in so flash program finds file.

Like if file name said p4c800b.001: afudos /ip4c800b.001

If it ends with .rom then: afudos /ip4c800b.rom

I am running the 1020.001 beta right now. When I flashed to the newest regular I think it was 1019 I dont think I have newest afudos. I tried to use the newest afudos I think for the new one but since 1019 and now I really been having serious random reboot errors.

Are you sure about the .001 and .rom? My book said something using .rom or rename the file so it reads as.

Any chance you can give me the USA version of the new afudos and non beta usa bios?

Also how do I set it up. Maybe I am doing this wrong, can u tell me step by step how u set up the floppy etc? Get to the bios screen setup again etc.

I wanted to make sure I did it the way you did so I don't screw up.

Thank You,
Homesick1337

I appreciate this help a great deal.

I have edited other post and all the links for files are in it.

After flashing to 1019 did you go into bios and set everything to setup defaults?

When in bios screen just press F5 and say yes to the prompt to load defaults then press F10 to save and exit.

American Zombie said:
I have edited other post and all the links for files are in it.

After flashing to 1019 did you go into bios and set everything to setup defaults?

When in bios screen just press F5 and say yes to the prompt to load defaults then press F10 to save and exit.

Do i make a windows start up disk , then put afudos and the bios file extrated from the zip into the disk?

Thats where i think i am making my mistake.

Also its ok to leave the file .001 instead of changing to .rom?

I have very similar problems which I THOUGHT I had fixed by updating my bios to the one provided on the CD. Im guessing not, seeing as how, after I loaded XP. I would have to restart or power down/on my PC like 3 times to find my new HD (an SATA WD 36G Raptor) Also, Yes i know I have read the reports that many people with SATA drives have had similar problems. Then on top of it all, it said I had a corrupt bios, I restarted and loaded defaults, it will reboot, but now it will not load into XP (on my SATA Drive ONLY) I have a multiboot till I know this sucker will work correctly.

Ok so heres my real Q: How can I upgrade the BIOS to anything other than the one provided on the CD without being connected and doing ASUS's autoupdate OR... using the floppy drive, since mine is broke anyway?

I have one on order but it wont be here for 4-5 days. One thougth I have is that I have a USB floppy will that work PRIOR to booting into XP? Or can it work after XP recognizes it?

Thanks,

H.L.

I just realized I didnt give PC Specs:

ASUS P4C800-E
2GB Corsair XMS3200PRO (TWIN Paired Set)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 256MB 8x AGP
1x 36GB SATA WD RAPTOR
1x 100GB EIDE IBM DeskStar
Antec 350w P/S

No OC yet, waiting on stable system boots :(

In reading back, I didnt give alot of information as to what EXACTLY my problem is.

Basically Im upgrading from an EIDE which I plan to use as my storage drive to an SATA WD Raptor. Being that I had a ton of files left on the old EIDE drive I decided to make this a multi-boot system long enough to get the old files off and move them to the new drive.

At first the bios would not even recognixe the drive so as you would iamgine I did the easiest thing possible, I upgraded to the BIOS on the Asus CD.. SUCCESS or so I thought, the BIOS then recognized, and allowed me to install and boot to windows XP on the SATA drive, and then after the first reboot when I set my video preferences, it stopped recognizing the drive at all.. so I defaulted back to original settings (not really like I changed much) and then it would not even post... the damn thing kept telling me corrupted bios...:eek:
So, being that it worked for me the first time, I used the dual boot to boot back to the old EIDE Drive. Reloaded the BIOS on the CD again, and again it worked fine for several reboots, then it happened again.

So, I decided I wasnt going to trust the BIOS on the disk, I did my homework and found out 1019 or 1020 is what I should be using. I downloaded both the new afudos.exe (211 version) and the new 1019 BIOS. I created an MSDOS disk, by using the right-click on A: quick format and checking the box for "create an MS-DOS start up disk I did this and moved the aflash.exe to the disk as it says in the instructions.

HERE is where I begin running into MAJOR problems... I suspect that this is not the type of dos disk I need when I attempt to run the aflash.exe it says:
Bios' Hook not found... which I would take to mean it can not see the BIOS on the Mobo...

Even with all of this I tried to go and say screw it and use afudos to load the new 1019, I could get it to start copying the old bios (at least it seemed) and then it would stop because there was not enough room left on the floppy.

NOW... with all this information in hand any and all PMS, emails, replies to this forum whatever.... I need to get this system back up and running Im REALLY frustrated, I have NEVER had this many problems loading up a new bios...

Sorry for the gone with the wind Saga.. but I figured WAY too much info was better than not enough..

I hope you all can help

Thanks...

H.L.

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a Nice Chianti"

I was going to give up on my Bios upgrade for the night when I figured lets see if I can rid this machine of the "supposed" bad bios, being that I had not turned off the machine and entered the bios before the reboot. After resetting the defaults this is what I found for my bios:

Version 08.00.09 Build date: 10-26-04 ID: P4CED106

I would suppose this is either A: the bios that comes on the CD or the original. Maybe someone can answer that part for me.
At least I can dual boot using this configuration.
Wierdest thing is, that if I put my SATA drive as the first in the boot sequence list, it wont start, it says File NTLDR missing. However, If I leave it in the multiboot, and CHOOSE my SATA XP Pro build, then it starts fine... This is starting to get way too frustrating. I have never had any problems loading a bios before. Perhaps I am missing something very simple, and because Im getting so mad missing the obvious. Someone please kick me in the Head, and tell me what the world Im doing wrong
THanks!

H.L.

"Five foot ten, strongly built, about a hundred and eighty pounds; hair blonde, eyes pale blue. He'd be about thirty-five now. He said he lived in Philadelphia, but he may have lied. That's all I can remember, mum, but if I think of any more, I will let you know. Oh, and Senator, just one more thing: love your suit"

He has sorted it... answer is contained in extracted IM's below - oh yeah, and welcome to OSNN mlakrid, not sure about your avataretc, but I'll give you some reps as a welcome and also since you resolved problem yourself (NOW then didn't I say to try a CMOS reset?, and wouldn't that have fixed it!)

IM transcript below....
12:06:11 mlakrid: I figured out what I was doing with my BIOS.. I felt like such an A$$... basically after you load the bios, according to the instructions I found, even if the flash was successful you have to set the bios to its defaults and start from there. guess I should ahve paid better attention. :D
12:10:30 p_wrighton: hey - HI!
12:10:40 mlakrid: Hello
12:10:42 mlakrid: :)
12:10:54 p_wrighton: yeah - well hey I COULD have overlooked that too
12:10:59 p_wrighton: but a question?
12:11:02 mlakrid: shoot
12:11:20 p_wrighton: didn;t you do a CMOS reset after teh flash? Think I advised that originally....
12:11:32 p_wrighton: because - woulkdn;t that do the same thing?
12:11:40 p_wrighton: excuse typing
12:11:47 mlakrid: I did the CMOS flash when the Bios originally corrupted
12:11:56 p_wrighton: your timing is great - I was about to post on OSNN BTW
12:12:02 mlakrid: hehe
12:12:14 mlakrid: Yea I need to put a message that I got it fixed
12:12:14 p_wrighton: OK - not since?
12:12:22 mlakrid: nope works great now
12:12:24 p_wrighton: I'll do it for you if you like
12:12:29 p_wrighton: great
12:12:33 p_wrighton: and your SATA?
12:12:40 mlakrid: Yep
12:12:46 mlakrid: Thats what I got my XP running on
12:12:55 p_wrighton: because took me about ten days and BIOS updates on my NEO2 mobo to get SATA as boot drive
12:13:02 mlakrid: No problems having it as the main boot device
12:13:09 p_wrighton: well done - booting from SATA can be a toughie
12:13:18 mlakrid: I didnt feel like dealing with thw NTLDR file missing crap
12:13:25 mlakrid: so instead of repairing
12:13:26 p_wrighton: was that why you needed BIOS update (I forgot that part!)
12:13:35 p_wrighton: refromat?
12:13:36 mlakrid: I slicked it and fresh loaded the XP
12:13:40 p_wrighton: yeah - cool
12:13:41 mlakrid: yea
12:13:46 mlakrid: Yea
12:13:47 mlakrid: 1019
12:13:51 mlakrid: alot faster

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back