ASUS MOB onboard sound problem - help please!

A

aptec

I have an ASUS P4T533-C based system with a Pentium IV 2.26Ghz chip, 512MB of RAM, a Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti 4400 graphics card, all running under Windows XP Pro.

I am using the motherboard onboard sound - two Advent desk-top speakers plugged directly into the Line-Out jack on the board.

Two days ago, for no apparent reason, the left speaker quit working. I checked all the cables, and all the volume control levels and everything appears to be as it should.

I plugged my speakers into another system and they both work fine.

I plugged another set of speakers into my system and the left one didn't work.

I plugged a set of headphones into my system and the left channel doesn't work.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the onboard sound, and it has no effect.

When checking the cables I noticed that when I pulled the connector slowly out of the jack until it was almost completely out the left-hand speaker suddenly began working again. Pushing the plug back into the jack made the left-hand speaker stop working again.

I've pushed and pulled and changed and checked and uninstalled and installed and reinstalled and rechecked and am now completely frustrated.

Any suggestions welcome.

Buy a decent sound card. It sound like a solder joint may have lossened up.

yeah, there's something physically wrong with the port. you could try fixing it, or buy a decent sound card with better sound quality and eax support and the like.

OK, thanks for the help. I guess it's off to the store this afternoon for me.

Any suggestions on a good sound card?

depends how much you're willing to spend and what you'll use it for (games, etc). soundblaster audigy is good, great for games, good quality, but maybe a little pricey if you're a casual listener. hercules muse and fortissmo products are a little cheaper and i think they're known for being decent value cards.

basically, stick to brand names like soundblaster, hercules, philips, and yamaha.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back