Asus agrhhhhhhh.

trackrat

Birmingham UK
I thought I would try AMD again so I purchased a Phenom 940, an ASUS M3A79T-Deluxe and 2 X 2Gb Crucial 1066 memory.

I always build outside the case so if anything is wrong it is easier to get at.

I put it together, switched the PSU on, the power button lit up, I pressed it, the HSF whirred into life then nothing, no beeps, nothing.

Searching through other forums it appears I need to update the BIOS, which would not be a problem if I had an AMD processor to use , but I only have Pentium processors at the moment, which means I have got to buy another AMD processor just to flash the BIOS.

After paying £155, for this board it really pisses me of to have to pay out more money for another processor that I will only use once.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I thought I would try AMD again so I purchased a Phenom 940, an ASUS M3A79T-Deluxe and 2 X 2Gb Crucial 1066 memory.

I always build outside the case so if anything is wrong it is easier to get at.

I put it together, switched the PSU on, the power button lit up, I pressed it, the HSF whirred into life then nothing, no beeps, nothing.

Searching through other forums it appears I need to update the BIOS, which would not be a problem if I had an AMD processor to use , but I only have Pentium processors at the moment, which means I have got to buy another AMD processor just to flash the BIOS.

After paying £155, for this board it really pisses me of to have to pay out more money for another processor that I will only use once.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's your own fault for not checking CPU support at Asus site.

Asus site > Support > FAQs > Technical Documents

It's your own fault for not checking CPU support at Asus site.

Asus site > Support > FAQs > Technical Documents

I checked the AMD site for 940 compatible motherboards and the MA79T was on the list.

It is all working now, a small computer shop charged me £10 to use one of there processors and flash the BIOS at the same time.

That saved me buying another processor and selling it afterwards.

As I have used AMD before I thought give them another chance, and I am pleased with the results, certainly cheaper than going down the i7 route

It is cheaper, but you don't get as much performance either. Their "low power" , "runs cooler" marketing have been little better than bovine manure in my experiance in datacenters too.

At a easy 3.8Ghz for $260 I wasn't too bad, and the strange "stalls" with intel based systems during gaming isn't there.

I will admit Intel is kicking the crap out of AMD on the WinRAR, encoding, and benchmark side. Who here honestly does nothing but benchmarks? I do little with Winrar, and most of my transcoding/encoding is handled by my ATI GPU in seconds instead of minutes.

All four of my custom built pc's are AMD as is the laptop I bought. The one I'm posting with now is a 2600Athlon XP Thoroughbred ddr 1 gig memory and is over six years old. My wife inherited the 2200 512ddr RAM machine which is i bit older yet. My other two are a 5400+Athlon 64x2 dual-core runs at 2.8 stock and a 7750be Athlon 64x2 running at 3.01 OC. Cost $60 US. I am pleased how well these machines run and am laughing all the way to the bank with all the money I saved.:nervous:

My one complaint with AMD is the less than desirable heatsink/fan that come with their processors. Don't get me wrong, they're ok for running stock speed. I feel more confident with the Xigmatek rs1283 and Artic cooling MX-2 TIM on the processor OC'ed 300meg.. temp is 45c idle.

same thing happened to a friend of mine with an amd cpu and a msi board, but since he had bought all the components at the same shop they did the upgrade for him, no charge

i guess that was pretty cool of them

My one complaint with AMD is the less than desirable heatsink/fan that come with their processors. Don't get me wrong, they're ok for running stock speed. I feel more confident with the Xigmatek rs1283 and Artic cooling MX-2 TIM on the processor OC'ed 300meg.. temp is 45c idle.

Well lets face it any stock cooler really isn't made for OC'ing. The included intel solution is a bit better than AMD's, but once again if you want to do any actual OC'ing your going to need to upgrade one way or another!

The last AMD processor I bought (6000+, 3.1ghz) came with a very nice heatpipe heatsink (although I reused my Zalman 9500 instead).

All the Phenom processors come with a four heatpipe copper cooler, and they are decently quiet. I have liquid for this system, and sent my new cooler that came wiht my 940 when I sold my 9850. As far as factory quality for HS/F AMD wins again.

The stock cooler ran at 37C, my Zalman 9900 lowered it to 32C.
overclocking it to 3.5GHz pushed the temp up to 43C on the stock cooler and 36C on the Zalman.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back