Asus A7V266-E

Guybo42

OSNN Addict
Hi all.

I'm in need of some guidance again :) Here are my machine specs:

Athlon xp 1800 cpu w/Thermaltake Volcano 9 heatsink and fan.
768 megs pc2100 ddr ram
Ati radeon 9700 All in Wonder agp card
350 watt psu
Onboard Sound (not quite familiar with that one yet)
2 x 40 gig Maxtor h/d
PlexWriter 40/12/40a cd burner
Creative 52x cd-rom

I've just installed this stuff on the Asus board, originally was on an MSI 6380 board. Now my cpu is running @ 50 degrees celsius/idle where on the MSI board, it ran at approx. 43 degrees. Is that an acceptable increase and why is it ?
Also the +12v voltage is @ 13.5v on the average where it used to run @ around 11.5v - 12.3v on the MSI board, should I be concerned about this ? All the info was obtained with the Asus probe.

Tx in advance for any suggestions/info.

AMD in general runs hot. The voltage is probly why the temp is increasing a little bit but its nothing to be concerned about as 50 degreese is avrg.

Hot ?

Tx for replying, I was away for the weekend and just got back. So other than adding a fan or something like that, is there anything else I can do to keep the temp a little cooler ? I would be happy with a reduction of 5 degrees. :D

Thats hot for a volcano 9 and that CPU.

What is your case temperature? Mine was 10-11 deg cooler than the CPU running a similar config.

When you moved the CPU did you remove the old thermal pad/heatsink compound form the CPU and the HSF and apply the correct amount of new compound (BB sized dab spread evenly over the CPU surface)?

Did you use a good silver filled thermal compund (like arctic silver) or did you use the white junk?

Are you sure you got the HSF on in the right direction (cutout on HSF should be at the side of the socket where the locking lever comes out).

BTW don't sweat it your temp is ok for long term operation, just higher than I would expect running similar processors and HSF.

Case temp

My case temp runs at about 23-26 degrees celsius on the average and yes I removed all the old thermal paste and put on new stuff, I used the white junk that came with the volcano 9. I didn't realize that the thermal paste could actually make that much difference until I checked it out. Maybe I will try some new stuff in the future. I guess I can live with the temp as is for now.
I played a few rounds of Tiger Woods Pga 2004 and the temp didn't go any higher than 55c so I guess it's not too bad.

Thanks for all the input though. :)

I've seen some issues where the MSI boards' temp readings were incorrect... My friend has an MSI KT2 Combo-L which has the same chipset and it's been well-known to read btw 7-9C on the low side, so perhaps your temps have always actually been at that level but you just never knew it before.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back