Asus A7V266-E rear usb not working!

T

ThePunkerGuy

Hi.. my system specs are below.. here is my stupid problem. My rear USB ports (the ones built onto the mobo) are not working. They are detected and all 3 USB connectors on the motherboard are detected and installed by windows.. but when i plug something into the rear usb ports.. nothing happens. The front USB ports work fine. In fact i dont know if the rear USB ports ever worked.. never used them i dont think.. but here is how i found out they werent working. My speaker connector was loose on the back of my computer so i reached over the top of it and pushed it in.. in the process i think i bumped the mouse out of the mouse port (its one of those logitech ones with the USB to PS2 adapters.. optical.. so it sticks out of the back of the comp kind of far and flimsy) and the mouse wouldnt work.. so i plugged the mouse back in and it still didnt work.. i restarted and it still didnt work.. so then i disconnected the computer from everything.. put it on my bed and wiggled it to make sure i didnt like damage something and everything seemed fine.. so i put computer back up and the mouse works fine now.. then i said to my self "i should make sure the usb ports too" and what do ya know.. the rear ones dont work.. wtf.. ok.. did i short something out when bumping the mouse or what.. i guess i should just send back the motherboard and get a new one from Asus? What do you guys think i should do, or what could be making the rear ports not work? Thanks!
- Mike

Ok... I'm assuming you have 3 ports, two in the rear and one in the front. Call your mobo manufactor or check their website and look for (or ask for) if your motherboard uses a shared USB bus from the rear to the front. If it does, that is your problem. A lot of companies try to cut costs by removing features they won't think the consumer would notice. One of those cost saving devices is running a shared USB bus. By this, they claim to offer 3 USBs or 4 USBs so that they can make extra money. But in fact, you really get 2. This is because of the bus being shared. Anything you plug into the front cancels out the back. Vice versa, anything you plug into the back, cancels out the front.

Try this, remove everything from your USB. Plug your mouse into the front USB (and install the drivers). See if it works. Next, remove the mouse from your front USB to your back USB and see if it works (nothing should be in the front now). If so, plug something into the front USB and see which one stops working. If one USB device does stop working OR one USB device don't recognise, you have a shared USB bus.

No, thats not how my mobo is setup. I have the 2 ports in the back that are built onto the mobo on 1 usb header.. then i have two seperate USB headers on the mobo for another 4 ports.. so all together i have 6 USB ports.. And i dont think Asus would try to gimp out ppl on something like that.. and i have nothing plugged into any of the USB ports and i plug somehting in the back and it still doesnt recognize it. In the Device Manager i have 3 individual "USB Root Hubs" and 3 individual "VIA rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller" under the Universal Serial Bus COntrollers group.. so i dont think anything is shared.. this is Asus after all .. not ecs or something.
- Mike

I *had* an Asus that was built like that. Took it back for the board I have now. But, in your case, make sure your USB controller is on in the BIOS. Otherwise, take it in for repair or excahnge.

I have a A7V266-E and all of the usb ports work fine. Check the motherboard manual and see if it is possible to disable those ports, maybe you inadvertantly disabled them. If they are enabled and still dont work then you should consider returning the motherboard for replacement.

Anyone ever returned anything to Asus for repair? The whole process will take almost a month and i cannot do without this system for a month.. it takes a week to send there, 2 weeks to repair, and a week to send back.. i just cannot do without this comptuer that long.. it has a 3 year warranty and i have only had the board for 6 months so i guess if there is a time in the next 3 years that i dont need this comp for a month then i will send it back.. but since the rear USB is all that isnt working and i have 4 more (and i only use 1) then its not really any bother to me.. but sometime before the warranty expires i guess i will get it fixed.
- Mike

Tell Asus to do a 1:1 exchange on the board instead of getting it repaired. Tell them to send you the exact same board and you send them your board. I've done it with computers so I'm pretty sure Asus will do it with their boards.

Ok, thanks.. i will try that.. when i called they said i would have to send it in for repair which would take 2 weeks. I will call back and ask if they can do a 1:1 exchange. Thanks again!
- Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back