ASUS a7V 333 Mobo + this?

K

kevinfrey

I'm considering buying a ASUS a7V 333 Mobo to go with the following components:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73GHz Processor Retail w/Fan and Heatsink
Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Ultra/650XP Golden SampleTi4200
Leadtek WinFast TV2000XP Delux DVR
2 times Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Special Edition WD800JB 80GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
Liteon LTD163 16x DVD
Lite On 40X12X48 CDRW Model: LTR40125S
SONY CRT MONITOR Multiscan® E540 21"
Floppy Drive
Smart Link V92 PCI Modem
WindowsXP Home Edition
Antec PLUS660 w/330W

I built the above system last November using a
Soyo SY-K333 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition Via KT333, and have had many problems (freezes). I've read about similar problems with this mobo+Nvidia graphic card+WinXP.

Does the Asus a7V 333 seem like a good choice for my components?
thanks,
kev

u might be expericing the freezing cuz ure power supply isnt powerful engouh, get a 350 at least or 400 just to be on the safe side

Power supply? I thought of that way back when. Someone said that my brand name power supply "Antec" was enough. My problems started as soon as I put the system together before I had my TV tuner card. I checked for IRQ conflicts and saw that my modem card was sharing IRQ 11 with my graphic card. I tried every slot for the modem and it always wanted to share 11 with my vid card. I removed the modem card and my problems went away. I tried 3 different pci modems and all caused sharing and freezes. So I went with a serial external modem, and my freezes dissapeared. I added the TV tuner card which did not try to share IRQ11. It shares IRQ 10 with a Via USB universal host controller.
I also added a USB scanner. No problems or freezes at first. About 2 months ago I started getting the freezes again. Always when I was connected to the internet. I'm pretty much at a loss other than I am guareented imediate freezes if i install a pci modem. My freezes might be unrelated. Who knows???????
So, I'm taking a chance that it might be mobo related.
kev

get the same power supply i have its really good and powerfull or if u dont have the $$ just get a normal 400w antec or enermax

Here's my guess for the trouble maker.

Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Ultra/650XP Golden SampleTi4200

The "golden sample" is overclocked at the factory. The GPU chipset is not rated by Nvidia for the speed gainward sets it to. I thought this was just fine since gainward said it would work. After 9 months I started getting crashes that got continually worse until it was a couple times a night. I then slowed the gainward GPU clock speed down to the nvidia spec's and it worked stable for a while. Then after 2 months the crashes started up again. Finally the gainward golden sample died completely (conveniently 1 month after the warantee ran out).

Try reducing the GPU and memory clock speeds to the Nvidia specs for the TI-4200.

I'll never buy another gainward or overclock a vid card again!

Note: I have not had one crash since I put the Radeon 9500 PRO in 6 weeks ago. :)

BTW 330 W antec should be fine. I'm running a 300 W with a similar system load out.

How do i reduce the clock speeds? Where do I find the Nvidia specs for the TI-4200? Using the EXPERTool program that came with the card, I have the Core Clock Setting and Memory Clock Setting set to Safe Mode Settings which are 250MHz and 446MHz respectivly. Is this what you mean?
thanks,
kev

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back