ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard Question

AL.F

OSNN Junior Addict
I have the above board and after installing a second ide drive, the system would not boot or at least not show anything on the monitor. If i clear the cmos using the jumpers it will then allow me to boot to the bios but not windows - when i correct the cpu settings in the bios and reboot after saving to the cmos. it then reverts back to stage one where it will not show anything on screen.

does anyone have ideas about this. - i have even tried removing the extra ide drive i wanted to add and it still does the same. I just cannot see what i have done.

please help

Re: a7n8x-e deluxe

Have you set the jumpers correctly (master/slave) and made sure you plugged in the drives correctly.

Some drives have a Single Master setting and will need to be changed to Master since you added a slave drive.

Thread title edited.

Please be more specific with your thread titles in the future. Thank you.

madmatt said:
Thread title edited.

Please be more specific with your thread titles in the future. Thank you.

sorry - will be more careful in future

as for the first reply all jumpers have been set correctly - i have now managed to be able to boot to windows but with the cpu set as a xp1150 runnng at 1.4 ghz with fsb at 133

i feel the cpu has gone and because of this now won't post

Turn off the PC and unplug the power supply. Wait 1 minute and do a cmos reset. (This is the manufacturers recommended method unless you have a CMOS reset from keyboard option. I do :) )

Next disconnect all optical and hard drives (ribbon and power cables). Leave just the CPU, the video card and the ram connected.

Turn on the power and see if it boots.

If it runs completely through POST (power on self test) then the video card, ram, cpu and MB are ok.

Now turn off power and reconnect the original HD. Boot again. See if the system boots into windows. If it starts booting into windows and then stops the windows installation was corrupted when you installed the new HD. You need to reinstall or repair install windows.

You should not have to set the cpu or ram settings in your bios. When you do a cmos clear you tell the Bios to use auto detection for the CPU and RAM. It will use the correct settings.

Note - if the IDE drive had a copy of windows installed on it also the windows on your first HD may have been corrupted. Install 2 HD's with copies of windows on them is a bad idea. Windows either gets confused or assumes you are running an illegal copy and sometimes corrupts the HD Track 0 data making both HD's unbootable.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back