Asus A7N8X DX 2.0 & Creative GF3 Ti200 Nightmare?

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hey there this roughly follows on from a previous thread but i thought it would be better here.

Right I have just upgraded to the ASUS A7N8x DX 2.0 motherboard, 512meg of OCZ3500DDR, and a XP Barton 2500+.

It all seems to be smooth except I can not install the display drivers. I have to use the ones built into service pack1. Any others lead to very slow booting (if at all) blue screens and very poor benchmark results.
The windows one is not sufficient I can not play games at all :(

I am stumped the only thing I can think of is bios settings?

Should 8x be disabled as it’s only a 4x card?
Also what should its supply voltage be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Originally posted by indyjones
Hey there this roughly follows on from a previous thread but i thought it would be better here.

Right I have just upgraded to the ASUS A7N8x DX 2.0 motherboard, 512meg of OCZ3500DDR, and a XP Barton 2500+.

It all seems to be smooth except I can not install the display drivers. I have to use the ones built into service pack1. Any others lead to very slow booting (if at all) blue screens and very poor benchmark results.
The windows one is not sufficient I can not play games at all :(

I am stumped the only thing I can think of is bios settings?

Should 8x be disabled as it’s only a 4x card?
Also what should its supply voltage be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

do you by any chance have onboard video ?

Originally posted by indyjones
Nopers

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-d/overview.htm

and wow awesome response time :)

heh... np... we aim to please...

your problem is you can't install official drivers for your video card ?

seems to be an unusual problem...

I am assuming it is with windows xp correct ?

well... I would highly suggest trying a variety of differnet driver dl's from www.nvidia.com

the windows drivers will be 2d only... therefore 3d apps will likely not run well...

the agp port wil run as fast as the card supports.., so it should not be a problem per se...

any other issues you would like to list ?

What do you mean by "can not install"?

You try to install them and they don't show up?

You try to install them and the installer program tells you it can't.

You try to install them and there is no video at all?

If it's the last description change the vid card back to default speeds. A friend of mine ran into a problem with his gainward golden sample. I'm wondering if GE overclocked and A7N8X at 333 FSB don't play well together.

His solution was an ATI 9600 Pro...

they do show up up okay its just turns into a nightmare when you reboot to finish the installation.

The pc then runs very slow or fails to boot at all :(

I have tried drivers from the 30.xx series ones from 40.xx series and final the latest 50.xx series :(

I am thinking i will have to buy a new card i have found a ati 9500 which comes with a garentee that you can softmod it to 9700 with not artifacting which is tempting :)

well those cards have gone so it back to trying sorting this :(

Like I said before are there any key bios settings needed?

Grasping at straws here:

I've seen some comments on 4x vs 8x AGP settings. I don't believe them, but anything is worth a try. Make sure card and MB are set to 4x AGP.

Set AGP Fast Writes to disabled.

And did you try changing the GE3 clock speeds back to default? Please try this. I'm dying to find out if it works.

Right fast writes are disabled, and i will try setting the mo/board to non 8x thats all i can do the card is not currently overclocked........

I had some problems with 8x causing an inablility to play any 3d-accelerated games with a GFFX 5200, and it turned out to be an AGP 8x problem. Once I put it into a 4x board (because the mobo I was using had a problem disabling 8x) it worked fine.

Still no joy I have run out of ideas :(
I did try yesturday borrowing a mates ati 9600pro and fortunatly/unfortunatly it worked like a dream. It seems like a hardware incompatibily issue to me, for foolish me belived a card and chipset made by the same company will work fine together :(
NVIDIA Have lost themselves a customer.....

Oh dear used the old credit card of evil and got myself a powercolor 9800 for £202 damn i cant afford it.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back