• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Asus 7800 GTX Power Connector Question

Rokks

OSNN Junior Addict
#1
The cable shown in this picture came with my video card. My question is this, I know the black end connects to the video card, and one of the white end connects to the power supply, but for proper operation does the other white end need to be connected to power also? I almost think if it wasnt supposed to be connected, they would not have put it on there....but, without being sure I dont want to hook it up. There was absolutely no direction on this in the manual for the Asus cards. You can ignore the DVI/VGA adapter in the pic.


--
 

Attachments

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
#2
That extra plug is just in case you don't have a spare PSU cable in your computer, in which case you'd have to have your graphics card (or HD/CD drive etc) and another device powered from the same cable. It's just like a mains plug extension with 2 sockets on basically. Just a bit smaller :)
Unless you're short of cables in your computer, just ignore the extra connector.
 

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
#3
ray, i'm not quite sure if you're correct on that. i've seen those connectors first hand..... it's not a spare connection of sorts.... those two white connectors are both 4-pin male. can't really connect anything else to it BUT another PSU cable. as for if it's required to connect both of them to your power supply...... i'm kinda getting mixed feelings on that subject. as far as i'm concerned..... if it's there, it's there for a reason. i myself think that it might be there so you connect both for maybe extra stability. on the other hand..... Ultra has cables for the original X-Connect power supplies that go from a single 4-pin to 6-pin connector. even checked two websites to buy those connectors.... here's what it said:

This 6-pin adapter cable for PCI-E converts two drive connectors to 6 pin PCI Express power connector. Many new PCI-Express video cards require the use of a new 6-Pin connector to power the onboard video processor directly from the system's power supply. This cable adds a PCIe connector to your system without having to upgrade your power supply.
so...... i honestly don't know.
 

Rokks

OSNN Junior Addict
#4
Ok, cool. I thought that was the case, but the thing that really confused me was that both white connectors are identical, they are both male where as the PSU has female plugs, so I could not see how a DVD, or anything could connect up to it. I guess there is an adapter or something that would need to be used. at any rater, I have an extra power connector out from my PSU and will be upgrading it soon anyway, so its a mute point as long as it doesnt have to be connected to the card. Thanks for the response.

Edit: hmm, we were posting at the same time there....so, still unsure. Heh. Ok, will wait for more responses.

--
 
Last edited:

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
#5
ElementalDragon said:
ray, i'm not quite sure if you're correct on that. i've seen those connectors first hand..... it's not a spare connection of sorts.... those two white connectors are both 4-pin male. can't really connect anything else to it BUT another PSU cable. as for if it's required to connect both of them to your power supply...... i'm kinda getting mixed feelings on that subject. as far as i'm concerned..... if it's there, it's there for a reason. i myself think that it might be there so you connect both for maybe extra stability. on the other hand..... Ultra has cables for the original X-Connect power supplies that go from a single 4-pin to 6-pin connector. even checked two websites to buy those connectors.... here's what it said:

so...... i honestly don't know.
Ah I see what you mean, well pointed out. I'm not sure then, if it were me I'd just plug one in and see what happens :) I can't say that's a sure-fire way of doing things tho hehe!
 

Rokks

OSNN Junior Addict
#6
ray_gillespie said:
I'm not sure then, if it were me I'd just plug one in and see what happens :) I can't say that's a sure-fire way of doing things tho hehe!
Hahah, I dont think so...lol. This crap is too expensive to do that. Of course I am sure there was a certain amount of humor meant in you saying that...heh.

--
 

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
#7
Rokks said:
Hahah, I dont think so...lol. This crap is too expensive to do that. Of course I am sure there was a certain amount of humor meant in you saying that...heh.

--
Yeah sorry, please don't take that as a recommendation!
 
#12
Yes, you are supposed to use both connectors. The wire is too small in a single molex connector to carry all the power needed so they double them up. Some earlier Nvidia cards had 2 seperate power connections on the video card.

And at the risk of being branded a smart ass (again), have you tried reading the quick install guide? :lick:

BTW - Welcome to OSNN.
 
Last edited:

Rokks

OSNN Junior Addict
#14
Rokks said:
There was absolutely no direction on this in the manual for the Asus cards
--
As the quote above shows, yes I did "try" reading the manual/guide, I read everything that came with the damn card and there is nothing in any of it about the adapter.

I may not be on your level when it comes to computers guy, but let me tell you I am not an idiot so dont insult my intelligence with a stupid question like "have you tried reading the quick install guide", geez.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,015
Latest member
evaiwhitis