Astonshell

B

bendarl

Hi I recently installed Aston 1.4 on Xp Professional.All went well during the installation but on restart after enabling Astonshell Xp generates an error report which I cant get rid of no matter what.The only way I could get the computer to start was as administrator in safe mode which allowed me to uninstall the program and to restart normally.Has anyone else had any problems or any ideas on what the problem could be.

Regards Gary

I couldnt get it to run either.

I think it might be a compatibility problem with XPs GUI. I cant remember if the site claimed XP compatibility or not, but it dont work on mine.

Yes I just checked there site and it says version 1.4 will work with XP

Well, it didnt on mine :mad:

I dunno if its the video drivers or what, but it didnt work, it was a hassle to fix, and I didnt see it worth figuring out anymore.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm game. Otherwise it just doesnt seem worth my time.

Now Litestep might be a worthy alternative, but I'm sticking with Explorer for now....

I knew that a new reinstall of XP was immenint after lots of proggie probs so i decided to try the Aston shell last night. Talk about the ghost from christmas past, suddenly the dreaded panda symbol (that i have coime to hate in recent days) of an incompatable anti virus came back to haunt me! Zone alarm then gave a warning about opening a secure vector and wouldnt let me get any web traffic at all even though i was conected, Didnt get much of a chance to play with it though as the fdisk command was only minutes away ! I am in two minds of playing with it on my nice new *clean* install of XP...........

Heh, good thing I'm slow at installing new programs, thanks all for the warning!

Thanks for all the replies fellows it will take a lot of convincing before I give it another try.I would still like to hear from someone who has installed it successfuly.

Gary

I'm sticking another install of XP onto a spare partition for playing around with so will let you know how it goes,

I was able to install Aston successfully and even got my comp to reboot and it worked fine, but I didnt really notice a difference. After I installed it I read somewhere that people had slowdowns, fps problems and other junk so I uninstalled it.

I couldn't understand though, the comment about how it doesn't take as much resources and ram. I have coolinfo running on startup, and when aston booted it had the same ram usage as Explorer on fresh boot. $30 is also way too much when there are better free shells.

Specs:
Celeron 400
192mb RAM
Voodoo3 2000
SB PCI512
XP Pro

i got it installed and runnig aok on Xp but it slowed my pc down to a crawl :( i went to the site and they said that it was less of a memoery hog than windows ...... BULLSH** if the inprove this product this might be a killer app to have there some sweet theme there allready

Has anyone been able to get Aston working right? If so, how did you do it, and what video card/drivers are you using?

I'd love to know if this app works at all the way its advertised. It sound like it has potential, but I couldn't get it to work right. I'm just wondering if it was my fault, though.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back