Associating .nfo files with a text editor

G

Guru-Choc

No matter what I try, .nfo will not associate with anything but the MS nfo editor, any ideas to overcome this.

I know what .nfo files usually come in, but they are now appearing in legitimate files, getting annoying to say the least.

Missed my point totally, I want to associate so I don't have to open them with a specific program everytime, this does not happen no matter what you choose as the default association with the .nfo file.

Go to folder options>tools>file types and scroll down to nfo press change and then find notepad and press ok

Tried it many times with editplus, it doesn't work, just tried it with notepad and it does now, very strange. Editplus was associated with the filename, but never opened it, weird.

Thanks for the help.

There is an even easier way...

1. Hold Down Shift
2. Right Click on the file
3. Open With...
4. Always open with this application

Works a treat.

Tried that one too, always reverts back to the microsoft nfo editor :(.

ok heres how to do the registry hack.
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.nfo
then edit the value for default (it should say "MSInfo.Document") change it to text Document

Now right click and add a string value called Content Type and make its value text/plain

Now make another string value called PerceivedType and make its value text

Then hit f5 to refresh it and it should work.

Make sure you have a space in Content Type and no space in PerceivedType

.nfo is just a text file, stands for information, just an udated way of the old readme.txt.

Warez groups do you it, a lot of shareware programs are starting too now, guess they wanna try be l33t :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back