Asrock opinions please

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Hey folks - Overclockers just junk mailed me and the spam price for this mobo from Asrock at £45 with tax is tempting me because it has all I need plus PCI express.

It is a brand I have no idea about though - anyone like to share what they may know or have heard?

Hii... my personal experience with them is that they are cheaper nasty....

There's a thread already about this motherboard here where a member has one of these and gives his opinion.

Asrock is a subsidiary of Asustek...Even though they are a part of Asus they don't make motherboards as well as Asus, they are supposed to be a cheaper alternative motherboard. Most reviews I've read aren't stellar but in the past 3 months the reviews have started to get better.

http://www.techspot.com/story3001.html

that article just makes a quick mention of how Asrock is a subsidiary of Asustek

ASrock is the barnd asus use to bang out cheap crap boards or boards that dont meat the QC standards of the main asus brand so they stand more chance of failing - but they're cheaper :).

Wow I JUST bought that board today!!! Haven't installed it yet but from the reviews I've read about it, it's a pretty sound board given the price and the well-working agp/pci-e combination. Not good however if u need it for a workstation or gonna be an integral part of a server or something...(read that on a review)

I didn't add in the thread DwarfData mentioned, but for some reason I'd get a BSOD which I eventually traced to the onboard LAN. Disable it if it gives you problems.

Other than that, it performs VERY well (in both PCI-E and AGP) and I can say I've been very, very pleased overall. Some people keep saying it's not much of an overclocker, but I can't verify that. I don't risk hundreds of dollars for a minor performance boost. Rather than spring all that money for nicer parts or better cooling, just buy a faster processor that runs at the speed it's supposed to :p

Interesting - the lack of stable onboard LAN may well rule it out for me then - unless I decided to get PCI wifi card in there.... but then again I guess I need to look at similar cards maybe with wifi editions?

Tuffgong4 said:
Asrock is a subsidiary of Asustek...Even though they are a part of Asus they don't make motherboards as well as Asus, they are supposed to be a cheaper alternative motherboard. Most reviews I've read aren't stellar but in the past 3 months the reviews have started to get better.

http://www.techspot.com/story3001.html

that article just makes a quick mention of how Asrock is a subsidiary of Asustek

ASUS? What's the subsidiary of Gigabyte then? :suprised:

EDIT: ignore thise... think I got myself confused with a news article a few years back.

Last edited:
:) I just installed this motherboard yesterday and so far everything working out fine, somethings im confused about still but that's because i've never installed motherboards before so i was bewildered when it came to all them little cables :p

so far no probs

Mainframeguy said:
Interesting - the lack of stable onboard LAN may well rule it out for me then - unless I decided to get PCI wifi card in there.... but then again I guess I need to look at similar cards maybe with wifi editions?

I didn't see any other reports of the same problem. The BSOD was actually the result of some DLL in windows, but disabling onboard lan fixed it. Either way, it's only 10/100 and I run gigabit! hehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back