ASP Woes in Vista

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
We're starting ASP in school, and the computers are running WinXP Pro (which I think comes with IIS 6). Anyways, we're playing around with opening and writing to text files, so I wrote this piece of code:
Code:
<% Option Explicit %>

<html>

<head>
    <title>
        Text Data Files
    </title>
</head>

<body>

<h3>Writing to a text data file...</h3>

<%
        dim FileObj, FileOpen, strTempo

Set FileObj = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        Set FileOpen = FileObj.opentextfile("c:\inetpub\wwwroot\data.txt",2)

FileOpen.Writeline "Line 1"
        FileOpen.Writeline "Line 2"
        FileOpen.Writeline "Line 3"

FileOpen.Close

%>

<h3>Reading from a text data file...</h3>

<%
        Set FileOpen = FileObj.opentextfile("c:\inetpub\wwwroot\data.txt",1)

while not FileOpen.atendofline
            response.write("<br>")
            strTempo = FileOpen.readline
            response.write(strTempo)
        wend

FileOpen.close

%>

</body>
</html>

Now, I'm trying to run it on my laptop, and it doesn't work! I have the data.txt file in the appropriate folder, but it keeps giving a HTTP 500 error. I got it to run fine on the WinXP computers, but not on my own. My guess is that there's some weird incompatibility with IIS 7 that comes with Vista...

Any ideas?

Classic ASP is dead and dying.. not really sure why you are studying it in school.. but then, I know people in school still learning on Pascal/Fortran/and *shudder* scheme!

Let's start from the basics.. installing ASP in Vista -
Go to: Control Panel/Programs/Windows Features/IIS/World Wide Web Services/Application Development Features - make sure ASP is checked
Restart IIS after installing ASP

other things to check after that..
Permissions.. who has write access to the c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory?

Last edited:
Sorry for taking so long to reply -_-. I had to take an emergency trip home...

Anyways, thanks for replying ^_^. I'm not sure where to find this. I know that I can right click on the folder, and then I see the list of users for permissions. In said list, I saw a user called IISUSERS (or something along those lines). I put that user in Full Control, and it still didn't work...maybe I skipped a step, I'm not sure. I can't think of any other place to look other than that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back