artic silver

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
which one is better? 3 or 5????

by the way i got to be the newest member of ntfs 2 times!!!!!!! yay hahahah

ha. :)

5 is slightly better. and i stress slightly. it's also quite a bit more expensive. i would only get 5 if i needed the absolute best for a particular application. otherwise 3 is still one of the best and a lot cheaper.

Agrees with Taurus.^^

Also, it's worth mentioning that there's a lot of fake AS3 going about.
Buy from a reputable source only, not the cheapest you can find.

There's a warning about it (or was, haven't checked for a while) on their site.

The cap colour or something like that was the only give-away to the untrained eye.
Oh, that and the poor performance the inferior imitation product delivers ;)

I bought Artic Silver 3 recently for my GFX card. Don't see the point in spending more money on something that you'll notice very little difference between it and the older type.

Is Arctic Silver 3 or 5 better than their new, cheap line of Ceramique? I paid $4 for my little syringe of it.

I dont think its better, its the same. But thats me, and I'm weird!

I went to arctic 5 from 3. 5 is thicker than 3 and won't get as liquidy as 3. This means that you won't have to replace it like you do with 3. 5 thickens with time and becomes somewhat like a thermal pad. My cpu temp dropped 3 degrees c. and the temp is more stable not going up under load as much with arctic 5. Yes it is more expensive but I think more than worth it.

eddieb said:
I went to arctic 5 from 3. 5 is thicker than 3 and won't get as liquidy as 3. This means that you won't have to replace it like you do with 3. 5 thickens with time and becomes somewhat like a thermal pad. My cpu temp dropped 3 degrees c. and the temp is more stable not going up under load as much with arctic 5. Yes it is more expensive but I think more than worth it.
My Arctic Silver 3 has been on my OC'd CPU for almost three years without any problems. Arctic Silver 3 is also a thick compound and changes properties in 48 hours or so when applied to the CPU and properly mixed. Are you sure your's wasn't seperated or a fake tube?

eddieb said:
5 is thicker than 3 and won't get as liquidy as 3. This means that you won't have to replace it like you do with 3.
i've had as3 applied for over two years on a video card when i took it off it looked pretty much like it did when i applied it. just a little thicker, which probably happened within th first 48 hours of applying it. i don't think it should need re-applying after a set amount of time.

Friend of Bill said:
My Arctic Silver 3 has been on my OC'd CPU for almost three years without any problems. Arctic Silver 3 is also a thick compound and changes properties in 48 hours or so when applied to the CPU and properly mixed. Are you sure your's wasn't seperated or a fake tube?
I concur, I removed a o/c cpu 1 year later and it still looked good

It doesn't matter how it looks. It's the thermal properties that are reduced over time. You are welcome to go to the AMD website to read a more detailed explanation. Arctic Silver 3 was intended for people who remove heatsinks and/or processors often, such as hobbiests or developers. AMD recommends using a thermal pad for long term installations, which I think is crap. With Arctic 5 the properties are more stable and do not break down with time. I know that with my setup, the processor temps do go up over time, not much, 1 or 2 degrees only, using Arctic 3. Don't know how Arctic 5 will behave over time, but so far, I like it better than 3. It's suppose to be a different formulation than 3. It is thicker and darker in color. I guess only time will tell if it is better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back