artic silver

Taurus

hardware monkey
ha. :)

5 is slightly better. and i stress slightly. it's also quite a bit more expensive. i would only get 5 if i needed the absolute best for a particular application. otherwise 3 is still one of the best and a lot cheaper.

Erbmaster

OSNN Veteran Addict
Agrees with Taurus.^^

Also, it's worth mentioning that there's a lot of fake AS3 going about.
Buy from a reputable source only, not the cheapest you can find.

There's a warning about it (or was, haven't checked for a while) on their site.

The cap colour or something like that was the only give-away to the untrained eye.
Oh, that and the poor performance the inferior imitation product delivers ;)

ming

OSNN Advanced
I bought Artic Silver 3 recently for my GFX card. Don't see the point in spending more money on something that you'll notice very little difference between it and the older type.

Petros

Thief IV
Is Arctic Silver 3 or 5 better than their new, cheap line of Ceramique? I paid $4 for my little syringe of it.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I dont think its better, its the same. But thats me, and I'm weird!

eddieb

OSNN Addict
I went to arctic 5 from 3. 5 is thicker than 3 and won't get as liquidy as 3. This means that you won't have to replace it like you do with 3. 5 thickens with time and becomes somewhat like a thermal pad. My cpu temp dropped 3 degrees c. and the temp is more stable not going up under load as much with arctic 5. Yes it is more expensive but I think more than worth it.

Friend of Bill

What, me worry?
eddieb said:
I went to arctic 5 from 3. 5 is thicker than 3 and won't get as liquidy as 3. This means that you won't have to replace it like you do with 3. 5 thickens with time and becomes somewhat like a thermal pad. My cpu temp dropped 3 degrees c. and the temp is more stable not going up under load as much with arctic 5. Yes it is more expensive but I think more than worth it.
My Arctic Silver 3 has been on my OC'd CPU for almost three years without any problems. Arctic Silver 3 is also a thick compound and changes properties in 48 hours or so when applied to the CPU and properly mixed. Are you sure your's wasn't seperated or a fake tube?

Taurus

hardware monkey
eddieb said:
5 is thicker than 3 and won't get as liquidy as 3. This means that you won't have to replace it like you do with 3.
i've had as3 applied for over two years on a video card when i took it off it looked pretty much like it did when i applied it. just a little thicker, which probably happened within th first 48 hours of applying it. i don't think it should need re-applying after a set amount of time.

jdn

I'm trying
Friend of Bill said:
My Arctic Silver 3 has been on my OC'd CPU for almost three years without any problems. Arctic Silver 3 is also a thick compound and changes properties in 48 hours or so when applied to the CPU and properly mixed. Are you sure your's wasn't seperated or a fake tube?
I concur, I removed a o/c cpu 1 year later and it still looked good

eddieb

OSNN Addict
It doesn't matter how it looks. It's the thermal properties that are reduced over time. You are welcome to go to the AMD website to read a more detailed explanation. Arctic Silver 3 was intended for people who remove heatsinks and/or processors often, such as hobbiests or developers. AMD recommends using a thermal pad for long term installations, which I think is crap. With Arctic 5 the properties are more stable and do not break down with time. I know that with my setup, the processor temps do go up over time, not much, 1 or 2 degrees only, using Arctic 3. Don't know how Arctic 5 will behave over time, but so far, I like it better than 3. It's suppose to be a different formulation than 3. It is thicker and darker in color. I guess only time will tell if it is better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swipk8