Artic Silver?(breakin time)

After looking at their site about this and the apx. 200hr breakin time for AS -5 they recommend turning off the comp from time to time too. In the past I didn't worry about these recommendations too much. What's your take on this guys and gals?:rolleyes:

ming

OSNN Advanced
i think he's talking about thermal paste, carpo. :)

i think you should ignore what you've read about the thermal paste unless you've either applied too much or too little when attaching your heatsink to your cpu.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
ah - i had same paste on one pc for near 5 years, temp is fine, if your that worried you can always take the heat sink of the cpu get the old paste of the cpu and put new stuff on, but it should be fine as it is, you will know if your or we are wrong if it burns itself out :p

I just applied new TIM. Stock amd heatsink. Temp is 40 C. Not that worried just wondering what you thought about breaking in the TIM recommended by their site. In the past I never paid any mind to what was on the site. On one of my other comps temps are 37c., and it's been a year since I last aplied AS/5. Thankyou everyone.:)

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
he's talking about break in on the paste itself.. not breakdown of the paste over time.

And, yes, arctic silver does work a little better if you work through several hot/cold cycles when you first apply in (the break-in period). The hot/cold cycles allow the paste to get into some of the more microscopic pits and creates a little better surface contact between the surfaces.

Is it necessary? no.. still works fine if you don't go through the break-in cycles..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut