J

Jeff_AMD

Ok, new to XP and a bit confused.

My old network setup use to be the following

Sprint DSL Modem
Linksys BEFSR41 DSL Router - Acting as DHCP

PC1 - Win98 SE - all network settings set up as Obtain and Disable DNS

PC2 - Win98 SE - all network settings set up as Obtain and Disable DNS

Now I switched one PC to XP and I cannot access the internet at the same time? I am stumped all setings in XP Networking appear to be the same as in win 98.

Any ideas on why I cannot get both pc's to share the same DSL connection now?

HELP PLEASE

Jeff

Upgrade the other to XP. I have the exact same setup. Except for the Modem. I have a 3com (t3) but i had 4 (yes 4) comps running at the same time one 98 (yes i know its a sin) and the rest running 2000 or XP Pro. 98 cant connect for some reason. I upgraded to xp and boom its fine.

Hope i helped.

:rolleyes:

But their has to be a way to get them both to work???

Argh! I just blew 140.00 I would hate to have to do that again.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I have 8 computers in my house, 6 running XP, one running 98SE, and one Linux box, all going through the same exact kind of router your using.

Of course their going through a switch first, i have each puter set up to obtain a IP address automatically.

don't know what to tell u, sorry

:cool:

This is really bizare as the router should assign the IP address and winxp should simply follow that direction to the net.

I know I must be missing something real basic and it is driving me nutz.

Other odd thing. Occasionally I can see the WINXP machine on the network from the win98 machine. When I use the WINXP machine to access the net all of a sudden I cannot browse the network anylonger on the win98 machine.

You got the XP built-in firewall turned off? and are u using the right jacks in the back of that router? stupid question I know, but shot, I've done it before meself :D

:cool:

Yeah the firewall is off and router is plugged in correctly. I even get the three lights on for that jack...all good their.

Hmm...Anyone got a brick I can put my head through? :)

Check the port itself. Or check that you havent "Filtered" the port.

U gotta goto. 192.168.1.1 in your Ie Browser. If u havent done this b4 the password is ADMIN.

Hope i helped.

Since you are useing a router all your isp info should be assigned to that. the computers should be set to obtain the ip automatically and DNS automatically. Also make sure that the router has enough clients available, I've had my router reset itself b4 so you never know. I know for a fact it that it is possible. I was running 98se on a old computer and xp on mine and I had no problems. Good Luck!

BAH Now I can have both pc's connected to the internet but I cannot have both PC's login to EverQuest.

Any ideas what is going on? I am really confused. It is not following basic networking principles at all!

Just looked at my ipconfig /all and noticed that my Node Type is listed as Unknown. I am assuming this is my problem since it should show a type. Any clues as to how to change this in XP?

Cheers! and by the way HAPPY 4th!

I have Unknown there on the ICS machine and Mixed on the client. Don't have a clue how to change it. Your setup really should work. Is the NIC compatible with XP? Have you tried changing to another card (not same brand)?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back