Argh! APM Problems - Stuck at "It is now safe to shut down..."

A

Amik

Having a minor problem with Windows XP and if I can't get it fixed I guess I can live with it, no big deal. My problem is that when I try to shut down for some reason or another it gets stuck on "It is now safe to shut down your computer" and I have to power-off manually anyway.

Now, I have read on the internet that the problem lies with either not having or not having enabled the APM/NT Legacy Node or whatever it is called dealing with the Advanced Power Management scheme. I didn't have this installed in device manage (Yes, I looked at "Show Hidden Devices") and it wasn't there.

I double-checked my BIOS and I do indeed have ACPI and ICPA Enabled. I'm not sure if I need ICPA or not under Power Management options but figured I'd do it anyway while I'm trying to fix this minor issue.

Anyway, once I saw I didn't have an APM Tab in Control Panel | Power Management Options I decided to go ahead and try to install the APM/NT Legacy Node manually. It installed and now I have the APM tab in Power Management Options but it still doesn't shut down correctly.

When I checked back in Device Manager once again I found it was indeed installed but it is in conflict (Infamous yellow exclamation point!).

My question is there anyway that I can get this working for my MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard or am I basically SOL? The other question: Is there any utility that will let me work around this problem and have an automatic power-off of some sort that anyone has found?

Thanks for any help, sorry for the long post but I just wanted to try to get all the information in there. :)

Well, It was enabled. I disabled it, applied, re-enabled it and then it showed up as being ok. I restarted the computer and checked on it again. Low and behold it's back to being in conflict with something or somehow but I don't know what.

The exact name is NT/APM Legacy Interface Node in Device Manager.

This is a fresh installation of Windows XP. It worked fine under Windows 98SE. No- I'm not going through hours of reinstalling Windows XP and all of my many applications that I use on a regular basis just to get this annoying shut down problem to go away. :p

Check the BIG post currently running about 'tweaks'. Somewhere in there dealer (I think) gave a tweak for this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back