ARGGHH ASUS A7N8X Deluxe HELP PLEASE!!

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi
I fitted my brand new asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 board today
along with my brand new 80 gig serial seagates

the problem is when i switch my pc on it powers up fine for about 10 seconds then switchs itself off!!! :(

I have checked the "helpful" staus leds and they are all fine i just dont know whats wrong

can anyone please help ?

(it doesnot initialise the monitor or post)

strip the board back to board, cpu, heatsink (making sure its got the yellow wire plugged into a fan header to show fan speed as this can prevent a P.O.S.T.) and ram, try a basic power up at that, then add the video card back in, 1 by 1 until you find a bad or loose part. take your audigy 2 out and use the onboard sound as this has voice on POST to tell you whats wrong. good luck :)

Right I just tried what gonzo suggested....... still no joy its the same even without the gfx card in powers up for a few seconds then switches itself off. I did not have an rpm monitoring fan in the cpu connector but i just changed that so that should not be a problem i also disconnected all my ide and sata devices and the floppy from the board still no joy i have also tried it set to 200fsb just to check and no joy :(

whats the red light under the agp doing when u try and POST ?

what about CPU only ? does it still shut down ? if it does can you try the old board again to check no parts fried ?

sorry yes, of course. otherwise it will die in about 2 seconds

failing that take the cpu out as well and try a POST with a bare board, im sure that asus woman starts shouting no cpu on a bare board, have you reset the bios as well ?

yeah with just a heatsink fan (with rpm detection) and the cpu it still shuts down after a few seconds

yeah i tried resetting the bios, yeah it has a vocal for it apparently but i donty belive it is even getting that far i shall try removing the cpu next

just tried once more before removing the cpu and plugged some speakers in to get the post message and itts "system failed memory test" the ram is PC2100 crucial 266 mhz ram i have 2 x 256 and 1 x 512 i have been trying the 2 x 256...

have a play with the memory, hopefully 1 will behave enough to allow the cpu back in etc.

i will do i will try 1 at a time the cpu is still in i have not yet removed it thanks for the help so far gonzo it is much appreciated

great, i read it wrong i thought the cpu was out, lets hope your looking at a BIOS screen in the next half hour :)

It could be your power supply. An open short in a device or the motherboard would cause an immediate PSU shutdown to keep from frying your components.

JJB

right i just tried a bit of investigation using the post reporter, failed memory test seemed to be there alot but after shuffling the ram around i manged to stop it the problem is it jus t now switches off again, actually the only time it did not switch off again was when i took the cpu out and it just kept saying no cpu although it did not shut off. After putting it back in again no messages it just shuts itself off

i have an old athlon thunderbird 900 is that worth a try of course i would have to switch the fsb down to 200 for that but i looked on the asus website and it says it supports them. the athlon xp was weird in my abit board i had to set it the xp2200+ for it to work correctly

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back