Are you.....?

G

gmagnuson

Are you planning to exercise your constitutional right to vote (for those that live in the USA) on Tuesday, November 5th?

If you say that you are not going to vote, post why.

I'm not going to vote. Three main reasons;

1. I'm not old enough to.
2. I'm not a citizen of the United States; although I live here.
3. I couldn't care less. :p

No. Not into politics so I have no idea who's running and what issues they've discussed or how they feel about those issues. 39 and I've never voted :)

I am not old enough to vote either, but I am beginning to see the responisbility of every American citizen to vote. Adverages for voter turnout have only been about 40%. In other words, 40% of Americans decide what laws the other 60% will have to obey because the 60% chooses not to vote. It does not take long and my personal feeling is, that if someone does not vote, they do not have the right to complain about the people that make our laws.

That's a great question and it applies as much in the UK as it does in the USA [so I voted anyway!].

In the UK the general feeling is that all politicians are as useless as each other, so whats the point in voting.? I'm 34 and have seen the Conservative and Labour Governments (Rep & Dem to you!) and they're just as ignorant, sleazy, inept, corrupt and self serving as each other.

So why bother voting???

Well I'll still vote because if you don't then the people who aren't clever enough to recognise this will elect a government based entirely on the editorial suport of a couple of tabloid newspapers or their own desires to keep guns (not in UK) / drive cars / or pay less tax etc.

Mubbers

Well that's what I think anyway.

Jewelzz... " boys lie " heh that's true; especially politicians and people of the sort; or that is my assumption anyway :)

And there's more [rant mode=ON]

Another good example of why you should vote is this:
In the last election in the UK.
  • 59% of the electorate voted (lowest turnout EVER).
  • Of the full electorate 25% voted for the government.
  • But the government won 60% of the seats due to constituncy boundaries and our 1st past the post system. Basically the guy with the highest vote wins (even if only by 1 vote!) & no proportional representation.

The other point about tabloid newspapers is this:
In the UK we have a best selling tabloid called 'The Sun'. It is owned by a chap called Rupert Murdoch who owns 'News International'. FYI this company owns 20th Century Fox so produces the likes of the X-Files and the Simpsons.

Anyway 'The Sun' was a staunch support of right wing values for... well ever. One day (for reasons only hinted at... personal differences allegedly etc.) they changed allegience to the other party and lo that party won the next election! That's how easy it is. Newspaper launches a campaign against a party, party loses. All down to the opinion of one man.

Notes to this:*
  • 15% more people abstained than voted Labour. 17 million people did not vote, barely 10.5 million voted for Labour.
  • Although only 25% of the electorate voted Labour, they won over 60% of the seats.

* Taken from internet, previously published in the 'Independent' newspaper June 2001.

Come to the great democracy of Australia. If you are over 18 & don't vote without a valid reason you get fined. Yeah for democracy. :rolleyes:

I think if you don't vote you cannot gripe about the Government that is in power at the time.

Also, if the average person in the country doesn't bother to vote then all the candidates have to do is get all their friends, hangerons and party faithful to vote them in, and once they are there they can do as they like.

That's why so many idiots get into power, because the average person is to lazy, doesn't care or just can't be bothered to vote.

Hipster, after living in the Philippines for a number of years and seeing how politics is run here, as they say with Guns, Goons & Gold, as well as ballot fixing and the killing of political rivals and voters.

Australians should be happy that they have the right to vote, even if it is compulsory, and we can do it in a safe and orderly fashion. Something a lot of countries can just dream about.

Yep - I think we should be 'made' to vote like in Oz. Smokie managed to say what I feel in half the words!

Maybe I should be a politician!

Mubbers, MP for Profligate-mouth (East)

Oh yeah one last thing:

Most people on this earth do not live under a democratically elected government. Like Smokie says do not take the right to vote for granted.

me is not gona vote for one simple reason. i dont got a pasport here :D so no voting for me. otherwise it sounds like fun and i'd do it

Posted by Smokie and commented on by dy
I think if you don't vote you cannot gripe about the Government that is in power at the time. I agree!

Also, if the average person in the country doesn't bother to vote then all the candidates have to do is get all their friends, hangerons and party faithful to vote them in, and once they are there they can do as they like. I guess this could happen - but they'd need a lot of friends,hangerons, etc!

That's why so many idiots get into power, because the average person is to lazy, doesn't care or just can't be bothered to vote. I agree!

Hipster, after living in the Philippines for a number of years and seeing how politics is run here, as they say with Guns, Goons & Gold, as well as ballot fixing and the killing of political rivals and voters. No argument on this point - it's ashame - but it is a fact!

Australians should be happy that they have the right to vote, even if it is compulsory, and we can do it in a safe and orderly fashion. Something a lot of countries can just dream about.
Bigtime heartburn - not over it being safe etc - but the compulsory part of it!

Why bigtime heartburn?
My 2 cents for what it is worth - I do not feel people should be made to vote - there are times I do not vote - I have this thing and maybe it is crazy - but I vote when there is a candidate that I support!

If I check out the candidates and don't care for any of them, then I will not vote. I did not vote this past Presidential election - why?

Because I refuse to cast a vote to "choose the lesser of two evils"!!!!

So if I can not support either of the candidates - why should I be made to vote for one of them??

I served for 23+ years for the freedom of this country - that includes the right to vote - or not vote - as I see it!

I'm headed out to vote here in just a few moments.

I feel those who don't excercise their right to vote are only hurting themself. After all, they are the leaders of our future.

And I read quickly what some others had to say, and why they don't vote. If you're not happy with those who are running, then why don't you?

Sometimes I wonder what today would be like if I made different decisions yesterday. Your decisions today affect you tomorrow, so do what's best.

GREEN PARTY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLARK CO. IN NEVADA (WHERE LAS VEGAS IZ) IS HAVIN A VOTE TODAY TO LEGALIZE 3 OZ. OF WEED.

ALTHOUGH 3 OZ. ISNT JACK **** AND YOUD BE GETTING RIPPED OFF IF YOU PAYED EVEN A TENNER YOUD BE ABLE TO GET IT IN STATE APPROVED COFFEE SHOPS. O AND YOU HAVE TO BE OLDER THAN 21 AND CAN ONLY SMOKE IT IN PRIVATE HOMES.

BUT 3 OZ. IZ BETTER THAN NUFFIN.

LETS HOPE THEY SELL GOOD **** LIKE KRONIK W/ THE PURPLE KRYSTALS AND NOT BROWN FROWN :( :( :( :( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back