Are USB 2.0 and 1.0 plugin the same?

S

Shirow

I have a MB with 1 2.0 USB plug in on it. What i want to know is can I use one of the USB Ports on the front of my case to connect to that 2.0 plug on the Mother Board and it will read as a 2.o or is there a different in the cable and actualy plug in part on USB? Am I making sense? :p

Originally posted by Shirow
I have a MB with 1 2.0 USB plug in on it. What i want to know is can I use one of the USB Ports on the front of my case to connect to that 2.0 plug on the Mother Board and it will read as a 2.o or is there a different in the cable and actualy plug in part on USB? Am I making sense? :p

yeah i don't think you can plug a usb 1.0 plug into the 2.0 spot on your mobo ... well maybe but it would still be 1.0 I think if it worked at all.

USB 1.0 and 2.0 can use the same cables, if that's what you're trying to say. People selling "USB 2.0 Cables" are making a fast buck. The ports on the front of your case will be USB 2.0 when you connect them.

Actually, no they won't. You can plug a USB 1.1 (not 1.0) into a USB 2.0 slot, but it will only run at USB 1.1 speeds, which is 12Mb. As far as the cable is concerned, there is a difference between USB High Speed cables (2.0) and Full Speed Cables (1.1). One can handle the 480Mb throughput, the other can not.

isn't Shirow talking internal like from mobo to the usb board inside the case?

Originally posted by Reg
Actually, no they won't. You can plug a USB 1.1 (not 1.0) into a USB 2.0 slot, but it will only run at USB 1.1 speeds, which is 12Mb. As far as the cable is concerned, there is a difference between USB High Speed cables (2.0) and Full Speed Cables (1.1). One can handle the 480Mb throughput, the other can not.

Are you sure? I tossed a friend of mine a cable that was intended for USB 1.0, but the USB 2.0 hard drive he connected to his computer is running full speed. As long as the port is designed for 2.0, the cable shouldn't matter.

I guess I will just plug stuff in and see what happens :p I have 2 USB ports on the front of my Case.. A cable goes from those to the MB. The MB that I got has a spot to plug in a 2.0 USB Port (which came with the MB but had to use a PCI slot and I don't want to have to get in the back to always plug stuff in) So I will see. Thanks

Just plug it in and see what happens.

The USB 2.0 cable is shielded so it is different. For short runs, in a low interference environment you will probably get 2.0 speeds using a 1.x cable.

Note:
Outside, but near the case is a low noise environment.
Inside the case is actually a higher noise environment (lotsa stuff switching really fast).

I have no first hand experience with USB 2.0 however From Here

Do USB 1.1 cables work with USB 2.0 devices? Add Your Notes
Ideally, yes. USB 2.0 architecture uses the same cables and connectors as USB 1.1 compliant products. Unforunately, only 3 out of 11 cables on the market are certified as USB 1.1 compliant. You may run into the cables that cause problems connecting high-speed peripherals. To avoid negative user experience, most vendors include USB 2.0 compliant cables with their USB 2 PCI cards and peripherals.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back