Are these specs good?

desie

OSNN Senior Addict
I've had enough of my AMD Duron PC. By the end of July ill have £630 saved (I'm having to split my money from my part time job while at Uni).

Intel Core 2 Duo 6320, Socket 775, 1.86 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache, Retail - £101.04

Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS C55, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - £115.61

1Gb Corsair XMS2, DDR2 PC5400 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12 - £28.83

320MB EVGA 8800GTS, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1600MHz, GPU 500MHz, 96 Streams, 2x Dual Link DVI-I/HDTV - £181.98

250Gb Western Digital WD2500AAKS, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 9 ms - £45.50

Lite-ON LH-20A1S-11C LiteOn 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD + RW x8 / -RW x 6, DVD-RAM x12, SATA, Retail - £24.55

520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU, ATX, EPS12V, whisper quiet, 5 year warranty - £68.02

120mm Coolermaster Internal Case Fan with BLUE LED S12-EB £4.10

120mm Coolermaster Internal Case Fan with BLUE LED S12-EB £4.10

80mm Coolermaster Internal Case Fan with BLUE LED (S82-EB) £2.34

£576.07

(plus about £11 postage so about £611). Prices inc VAT.
I think postage is £11 from scan.co.uk which is good. I'm going to be dual booting with XP x64, Gentoo Linux, Vista x32 (I want Halo2PC, Crysis etc). I don't want a DX9 gfx I don't see the point. I have a case and I'm gonna sell my current PC as well.

Wow just checked prices again most things have gone down :D. Since I did the list a few months ago. Ill get a new keyboard and mouse or somet as well.

I'm also gonna overclock the CPU to about 2GH or so but only more when I get more cooling in the case, Ill eventually upgrade to quad core when it becomes resanbly price and get up to about 3GB ram and SLI GFX in the future.

Last edited:
Ahh sorry I haven't been to these forums in a while as you can guess, I only visit the front page most times.

Decent specs for the budget :)

I got a quote on a core 2 duo based server at around that for just cpu, board, ram, disks and case :p

Ya lol, I also have Artic Silver 5 or something somewhere in my room I need to find that I don't want to use the crappy pads they provide.

um... since u mentioned artic silver paste... are you not going to get a new heatsink for your cpu?

Well I read the ones that Intel provide in retail boxes are pretty good, but that was a long time ago, what would you recommend that's not to expensive instead?

Good solid system with upgrade potential, but...

You need PC 6400 RAM and should get 2 gig. Corsair is running $100 USD for 2x 1GB PC 6400 after rebates in the states. I have seen other brands at this price level also. DDR2 pricing took a dump in the last few weeks. I'm thinking of picking up a set this week end for my next build.

I live in the UK and we don't get rebates. I added
[FONT=&quot]1GB CorsairXMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12 [/FONT]
in place of the PC5400 ram and the total is £592 excluding postage.

I was planning to get another stick of ram the following month in Aug.

looks okay to me - just check pricing on Geil or Ocz - I found those to be cheaper than corsair all three brands use the same memory supplier for the actual chips.

They only really sell Corsair at that speed on the site. Though they do
1Gb Elixir Major, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12
at £30.54 but there is little information and I've never heard of Elixir Major before. I want to buy all my stuff from scan.co.uk btw because itl save on postage if I get it all from one place. They ok to buy from? OCUK is to expensive (the owner has a Ferrari) and Ebuyer's postage is to expensive. What shall I do about the CPU fan, use the Retail provided by Intel or get another one (doesn't that void the warranty?).

They only really sell Corsair at that speed on the site. Though they do at £30.54 but there is little information and I've never heard of Elixir Major before. I want to buy all my stuff from scan.co.uk btw because itl save on postage if I get it all from one place. They ok to buy from? OCUK is to expensive (the owner has a Ferrari) and Ebuyer's postage is to expensive. What shall I do about the CPU fan, use the Retail provided by Intel or get another one (doesn't that void the warranty?).

You could have a look at the crucial website too, i have always bought their RAM since my generic stuff went bad after a few weeks, free shipping?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT2KIT12864AA80E

2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 6400 (800Mhz) £77.54

They only really sell Corsair at that speed on the site. Though they do at £30.54 but there is little information and I've never heard of Elixir Major before. I want to buy all my stuff from scan.co.uk btw because itl save on postage if I get it all from one place. They ok to buy from? OCUK is to expensive (the owner has a Ferrari) and Ebuyer's postage is to expensive. What shall I do about the CPU fan, use the Retail provided by Intel or get another one (doesn't that void the warranty?).

I've found scan to be quite reliable. If you live anywhere near Bolton then I think you can actually go and pick it all up yourself

I use Crucial in this PC and my Mac, they are good but I read Corsair is more suited to overclocking and they generally come with heat spreaders as well. I will probably go with Corsair from an overclocking point of view. Geffy, that is good to know! I don't live near Bolton but I can't moan at £11 postage for £630 worth of goods. I think it's good that I have a case as well that will decrease postage costs :D.

Also I was wondering about my EVGA GFX card choice, I was just wondering if it's ok the brand. I want the 8800 series since 8600 gets out performed by DX9 cards on benchmarks. Is mine a good choice, I don't want to go with ATI btw.

Last edited:
heat spreaders on ram is a waste of time :) Ask crucial :) Most modules come with spreaders because overclockers things it does some good.

OcUK, ebuyer and scan are all places I get hardware from regularly.

I have a VERY big case so it should fit, would it fit the motherboard I chose in my original list at the top?

I have a VERY big case so it should fit, would it fit the motherboard I chose in my original list at the top?

which way are you going to mount the arctic cooler? towards the back exhaust fan or the psu? Just wondering because I've always wanted this cooler but couldn't decide which way to mount it so I never got around to buying it. :laugh:

Prob the back exhaust fan, PSU is will be well above mobo anyway, I need to look at the case and decide.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back