Applications but mainly games disconnects my ISP

S

Sir_Tony

I have 56K dial-up (sad I know) but unlimited (time & d/load).
As soon as I start a game (eg Quake, RCT2, or anything like that) I lose connectivity to my ISP but the modem does not drop out.
Connect lights show connected.
ICQ goes to disconnected, MSN does not notice it for ages, IE6 shows "unable to find page" etc. etc.
P3x800 (also sad) 193Mb RAM 2x40GB HDD, Win XP (Build2600)
Swann USB modem (latest driver installed this week).
Was not a problem on earlier installation of XP on same box, so some setting is different, just dont know what........
Oh and I am running NIS on this PC and it is networked with 2 other XP boxes for shared internet connection, they cant keep connection alive remotely.

No error messages are seen, disk is free of errors and defragged.
Think that about covers it.........

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!

I have removed and reinstalled all drivers..... changed USB from COM3 to COM4......... changed just about every property that I can and still cant remain connected.........

There must be some way to keep the connection alive. background tasking etc....

See if you can 'borrow' a friends isp for an hour or so & see how that performs. There are some really bad ones around. Who are you with?

unlimited business account with TELSTRA (bigpond australia).

Did not have the problem when I installed XP previously, just since last install

Was it a fresh install or over the top?
Have you been turning off any services?

Is it losing connectivity after you have been connected for a certain amount of time or is it pretty much random? If it is always about the same time it's possible that it's timing out and d/c. I believe the setting for this is in your ISP connection properties (it's been a while since my dialup days), and should say something like "Disconnect after XX minutes if no activity".

I had this happen to me once, and even though I was actively using my connection, it would still d/c me. That was under win98 though, never used a modem with XP before. Kind of a newbish answer, but maybe it'll help.

I use ADSL 512k with the same people. I cannot host a game online, if i do i get disconnected every hour or so. as far as i can tell i think they think you have afile sharing program running or something and they kick you. i havent called them and asked but im pretty sure thats the reason. I had that problem with NFS HP2 when i ran as a dedicated server. so its a telstra thing id say

Sounds like a telstra thing. "Give us all your money & don't bother calling cause we don't give a fig newton."

thanks guys........ to answer your questions and provide further comment..

Fresh install onto new 40Gb HDD (old drive was also same brand 40Gb).

Disconnection is not random...only when I start a game like Roller Coaster Ty**** 2, Diablo, AOE2, anything really that uses a lot of resources.

Disconnect after XX is disabled...
If I dont start a game I dont get kicked and stay connected for 24hrs without a problem.

are u using BPALogin?

umm... Kaplunk... part of the Telstra ToS is that your not to run ANY kind of server... thats what the whole heartbeat thing is for.... Although its essentially a pain in the ass... its to stop servers.

u can use filesharing all u want... just don't share big files or u'll get kicked ;)

I have a 56K USB modem dial-up account .........not cable

hehe yeah well soon as i move house switching over to IInet. at least then if i ping someone in perth it doesnt have to go to sydney first :)

Come on guys and gals, surely someone has a real idea on how to stop the USB from losing its connection.

I loaded XP (Pro) onto a new HDD and then added and run one of my games which immediately hung modem transfers........
So is this a bug in XP?

if its only when something is using high cpu overheads (games or power greedy applications) then perhaps its all down to that? have you tried a pci modem or anything - just to eliminate the modem from being the problem?

have a look around on the internet, you may need to try using a modem initialisation string or something to make it work better. i think the best strings site i found when on 56k (goin back at least 18months now) was http://www.jenera.com/modems - so have a look on there for your modem and try any initialisation strings you may find.... alternatively, have you tried plugging the usb modem into a different usb port? sounds crazy, but ive had problems with having different devices in different slots... may work laggy in one port but excellent in another.

good luck :)

Thanks everyone for your replies.
The solution was replacing the modem. The Swann USB had an internal error that was causing the disconnections, they got worse as time passed until it disconnected every 1min 12 sec.....

So now I have a Netcomm IN5699_4 PCI internal modem that kicks ass. and don't disconnect during games... and was only $AU35 boxed!

Thanks again all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back