application for limit usage

FrenzyD

OSNN Junior Addict
I am using windows xp pro. I am 3 accounts. 1 for my parents, 1 for myself and 1 for my younger brother and sisters. I Using cable with a 1 Gb limit usage per month. if over the limit, internet copnnectio will change to 28.8k . I am sick of my bro and sisters. The download a lot, on each month less than about 15 days, they finish the limit. I am so sick of it. I only check mails, need like 5 mins (sometime smore than that!) :mad:

is there any software to make internet slow down? :confused:

this is mainly only possible if the traffic is going through a proxy server, you could add the sites they download a lot from to your
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and add them as entries like
127.0.0.1 bigdownloadsite.com

save the file then run
ipconfig /flushdns
from the run dialog or the command prompt

Try this one here looks like you may be able to adapt it to your purpose, maybe. I may loook into this myself because my service is going to be capped soon and I need to know if I'll hit the limit. :(

FrenzyD said:
I am using windows xp pro. I am 3 accounts. 1 for my parents, 1 for myself and 1 for my younger brother and sisters. I Using cable with a 1 Gb limit usage per month. if over the limit, internet copnnectio will change to 28.8k . I am sick of my bro and sisters. The download a lot, on each month less than about 15 days, they finish the limit. I am so sick of it. I only check mails, need like 5 mins (sometime smore than that!) :mad:

is there any software to make internet slow down? :confused:
Go AOL then you can download till you or your sister and brother drop:)
It may have some bad points but, hey the good points outweigh the bad points.

AOL is never the answer.

Get an ISP that doesn't have archaic policies, vote with your wallet.

Yeah you got unlimited downloads with AOL, or you got limited bandwidth with all the others. I know what turns-me-on:)

Lets not give this guy bad advice OK, I get unlimited downloads too, yet don't have to install spyware to connect to the internet.

we need to keep this thread away from becoming an AOL flame war....

If we go back to the request - chances are this person may be stuck with their ISP and the package (maybe it is paid for by the parents?) and so they are just asking for a way to "share" the bandwidth available in a way that makes it last over the month, rather than reaches the limit before the month end.

Yes there maybe a lateral solution with another ISP - and if that is an option for them they will probably post or search on threads recommending ISP - then again we do not know what their options are or even which country they are in, so perhaps for this thread we should try to limit ourselves to the first consideration? If no one can find it then I would suggest with more and more providers making their budget offerings capped in some way there could easily be a gap here for some shareware to offer bandwidth sharing/monitoring across accounts.

[EDIT] Just re-read original post and I htink all he really wants to do is slow the connection speed for his cable to about 50% of what it is now, then in theory the limit (which is being reached in 15 days or so) should last for the whole month.... incidentally I think the link I gave originally should be able to do that for you [/EDIT]

another link

here is another link which details in pigeon English the options you have, it seems the first link I gave is a program you'd have to pay for after the trial period - but the third option on this link shows you how to effectively "sabotage" TCP/IP to slow things down, maybe that will do what you want?

Halfing the bandwidth aint gonna solve nothing.
You need to just stop your sis and bro downloading at all. If its half the speed they will just wait till its done anyway.

If you got admin account on your machine perhaps you could lock your brother & sister out now and then limiting the time they can even login :)

Halfing the bandwidth won't solve the problem, but lowering it alot might. Netlimiter can do this I believe. At least on application level.

j79zlr said:
Lets not give this guy bad advice OK, I get unlimited downloads too, yet don't have to install spyware to connect to the internet.
It's good advice.

j79zlr: not trying to add fuel to the fire, but aol is a bit different in the uk than it is in the us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back