Apple is not a company, its a cult.

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
So I finally decided to get a new computer - not the usual I'll just upgrade two parts and try to get along, but an entire new system.
I was checking the prices and parts I can get and an idea came to mind, why not check what Apple has to offer. So I started looking and not only there isn't an apple store in Israel (which is understandeble) but there isn't any company imorting Macs (only iPods).

So once I got over the usual "I'm living in a friggin' bannana republic" moment, I decided to email the presumably nice Apple people, and see if and how they can help me.

But then (and this realy ***** my **** up!) I discovered you have to be a registered member in order to email those people :devious: Now in my mind thats almost like asking people to fill out forms in order to blow me.

So now, not only I'm not going to buy a Mac, Steve Jobs is officialy invited to suck me off! I'll get the paperwork ready.

Like I always post in these threads, imagine if Bill Gates further monopolized and forced you to buy a "Microsoft" PC to have the "privelege" of running his OS.

j79zlr said:
Like I always post in these threads, imagine if Bill Gates further monopolized and forced you to buy a "Microsoft" PC to have the "privelege" of running his OS.
There have been no hints of any such thing happening since the company's inception. Microsoft has historically been a software company (the name says it all - Micro[computer]soft[ware]), and it's highly unlikely that's going to change anytime in the near future.

The ideologies of Microsoft and Apple have always been very different - while Microsoft believes in partnering with several different hardware vendors, Apple believes in controlling the whole end-to-end experience. The personal computing scene is a great example of this differentiation, and so is the digital music scene. Microsoft implements the software side - Windows Media (the player, codecs and Janus DRM), but partners with a variety of hardware vendors like Creative, iRiver, Dell, Samsung etc. Apple, on the other hand, controls the hardware (the iPod) and the software (iTunes, iTMS) experience.

Now people can cite pros and cons to each approach (and I won't voice my opinion since it's irrelevent to this discussion), but I don't see this basic ideological difference between the two companies changing anytime soon. It does sound like some good FUD material that Slashdot could pass off as front-page news though. I can almost see the headlines - "Imagine if teh evil empire could control your lives..." :p

Yeah, I would have to agree that Apple is a cult too. I have never liked any of thier products. Their IPod really is nothing to be proud of... it doesn't even have a color screen and it looks like it was built 10 years ago and they should have made it able to play video... my phone does both MP3s and video! Quicktime tries to take over your computer. Thier PCs look like they are all trying to win a fashion show. Their mouses (and that rightfully is the plural of computer mouse) only has one button... heck, my mouse has 4!

NetRyder said:
Apple believes in controlling the whole end-to-end experience. The personal computing scene is a great example of this differentiation, and so is the digital music scene. Microsoft implements the software side
Except their selling MS Office for Mac on their site :squareeye

Macs are computers, MS Office for MAC is comptuter software, where's the problem?

While I agree that apple is a waste of space and time (and thusly their hardware and software as they seem to arrive late on the bandwagon and then come up with ways to sue or persecute everyone else off of what they now want to be their bandwagon - if this isnt true its certainly the image I percieve from the vast majority of mac users)

I dont see any problem in making money out of those users that decide they want to fence themselves off on a minority architecture.

Linux is anothre prime example. Its free, so how many companies (inlcudling my present employer) make money by selling either the os itself, or services related to or using that os? Its a minority platform that businesses can make money from.

Apple is exceptionally good at that :) Sub-standard proprietry hardware or in some cases (apple lcds, etc) standard hardware - at insane prices with poor aftersales thrown in as a bonus.

In the end it is all just a passing fad. It'll just take a long time to pass so long as there are people willing to pay for it. Be it Apple fand buying Apple, Wintel fans buying windoes and intel/amd or linux fnas paying to use or obtain linux.

Un4gIvEn1 said:
Their IPod really is nothing to be proud of... it doesn't even have a color screen and it looks like it was built 10 years ago and they should have made it able to play video... my phone does both MP3s and video! Quicktime tries to take over your computer.
man which iPod are you seeing have you see the ipod photo with a click wheel?
it has a color screen and touch sensitive wheel

*spies bandwagon...jumps on*

Woooo! I hate Mac to, they are the shiz, and all their mothers are ugly

And they have bad personal hygiene

and...errr...Yo momma!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back