Apple iPhone

I think my xda orbit is better suited for me. Just pop in a memory card and it'll do everything this thing can do... except run osx and related apps.

My Orange M600 can do most of that too, downside for me is WM with OS X sucks :p

I do really want to play with one, just to find out what its like. I am hoping that they wont lock out third party apps. The Mac developer community is Apples most powerful asset in my opinion.

Been talking about this with a few friends over the course of the day and one of the things we came to was whether or not the iPhone will (because of its iPod 30-pin connector) be able to use a lot of the iPod accessories. Things like FM radio and Battery packs and such.

@Vanquished: I'd get an iPhone because I have a more comfortable experience with Apple equipment than I do Windows equipment.

I would like though for Apple to release a normal widescreen iPod, HDD based and such. For the main reason that I would prefer to deplete the battery of my entertainment device and be a little bored than deplete the battery of my communication device and be stuck out in the rain with no way to contact anyone.

At the risk of continuing the hijacking of my own thread: ;)

it's off topic, but real fast, sprint just picked up nextel, I think any reports of them not doing well aren't too accurate.

"just picked up nextel"? Umm.. as I recall, Sprint announced the purchase of Nextel over a year ago.. :) :p

edit: yup.. August of 2005

Sprint, a couple months ago, announced that they were getting ready to deploy a 4G network in the form of WiMax. Yesterday, they specified that the deployment of the WiMax rollout would start in Washington DC and Chicago.

My Orange M600 can do most of that too, downside for me is WM with OS X sucks :p
Even with Missing Sync? I've never used a WM5 device with a Mac, so I'm curious - what types of issues have you run into with regards to synchronization etc?

Even with Missing Sync? I've never used a WM5 device with a Mac, so I'm curious - what types of issues have you run into with regards to synchronization etc?

Missing Sync is alright but its still slow and cludgy, no where near the kind of responsiveness of ActiveSync. Additionally you still get a large number of apps for WM devices which are in EXE format which you obviously cant use. Missing Sync can only handle CAB installers.

Missing Sync 3 is a huge leap from 2.5 though which was very slow often wouldnt connect and gave huge numbers of communication errors when syncing. Version 3 still does but with no where near the same frequency. You get more problems with things like Calendar entries and Tasks. Calendar entries are particularly bad if you have told it to pull in the birthdays from the Address Book. If you do that then sync it with your PDA you then get all of the birthdays duplicated in iCal. Once as a proper birthday event and once as a "personal" event. Its worse with Tasks, if you for some reason tick them off at different times between iCal and the PDA it will obviously ask you to resolve the conflict and then resync. But whenever you then try to resync you get a communication error. You can never resolve the conflict. The easiest thing to do is just manually delete the task from both the PDA and iCal separately then sync again.

I think Microsoft could go a way to improving WM on Mac by actually releasing details of the sync mechanisms. I think all of the Missing Sync stuff is gathered from snooping USB and/or Bluetooth traffic.

Hmm...that sounds pretty messy, Geffy.
I can certainly see why you would want something that works better with the Mac now.

Hmm...that sounds pretty messy, Geffy.
I can certainly see why you would want something that works better with the Mac now.

Yep, tis all a mess. I mean I really like my M600, its a pretty good phone. Completely rubbish for the likes of pocket excel and some things like that but for what I need* its fine. I think there is a newer version of the M600 though with a faster processor which would likely resolve the issues I have with the device itself (see pocket excel above).

There is only 1 thing that I wish was configurable on WM5. The default input method. When it takes my phone 4 to 5 seconds to pull up the Input method switch menu for me to change to Letter Recogniser instead of keyboard I get annoyed. I should be able to set a default option.

* calling people, send/receive SMS/Email, contacts, making notes, wee bit of internet browsing

I will try not to rant about WM + OS X any further in this thread which is about the Apple Inc iPhone.

It's funny that anything close to Ipod gets a suit from Apple, along with a cease and desist order, but when they go ahead and copy a name holding patent, Apple reps reply "it's just silly." I guess what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

I've heard a lot of people complaining that the iPhone can only be sync'd over a USB connection but I can't help thinking that thats just a limitation imposed by iTunes. Thats the only sync method it has built in at the moment. I've played around a little bit with the OS X Bluetooth framework and its pretty powerful and reasonably easy to understand and use. So I would expect Apple to add Bluetooth support to iTunes at some point on or around the iPhone release date.
I've not played with the Windows Bluetooth stack at all so I don't know if thats going to be something which might hold them back or not. I'm not even sure if Windows has a bluetooth stack to begin with or if its only added once a Bluetooth device is installed. On the Mac its just one of the System/Library frameworks which is on your system. I can't see them doing WiFi syncing. Its just not secure enough I don't think. Besides with Bluetooth 2.0 you've got some extra range I think over Bluetooth 1.x.

Bluetooth 2.0 is much improved upon and also adds stereo support.

nice vid!
that video is sweet. but critics are harsh against the clickwheel's usability while on the go and also blind-navigation. so, with this multitouch interface, its going to be impossible to do anything discreetly or while moving... that could be a deal killer for me. i rarely pull my zune out of my pocket because i can fully navigate with the 4 way button without even seeing it. hmph.

nlm best sig ever. mine says that about both vanquished and netryder.

loller.

Hey Vanq

Just so that you are self aware--You are as annoying with your hate of Apple as their fanboys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back